Can I use 000webhost's subdomains AND zone records defined at my registrar?

I manage a domain via my registrar’s site. I have MX records set up with Google Apps, and CNAME records which point to a forum, some web comics I make, and some blogs. After finding 000webhost I figured I would try to host a site of my very own. The thought had crossed my mind in the past, but I am hesitant to buy hosting before I have a chance to try it out.

This thread was started by someone who wished to continue using the registrar’s zone record management. Following the advice in that thread I created a record like MYDOMAIN.COM A XX.XX.XX.XX where the X’s represent my 000webhost account IP address +1. When I browse to my naked domain I see the contents of the index.html file I uploaded here at 000webhost, so I know that part works. Because I didn’t touch my CNAME records, I can still access my blogs, etc. with the subdomains I have always had.

I noticed 000webhost’s free service says I may use 5 subdomains. I set up one subdomain using the “Subdomains” thing in the control panel. I then went to the “File Manager” where I found a folder matching the name I used for my subdomain. I uploaded my index.html file there as well, this time giving it a different title. When I go to MYDOMAIN.COM/MYSUB I see the new copy of index.html with the new title. When I go to MYSUB.MYDOMAIN.COM, however, I see a page from my registrar saying the subdomain does not exist.

If I wish to use this as a subdomain, do I have to make a CNAME record pointed to MYSUB.MYDOMAIN.COM CNAME …um…? CNAME records cannot have slashes in them so I cannot point it to MYDOMAIN.COM/MYSUB.

Should I set up a NS record pointed to 000webhost? Then if the subdomain isn’t found among my CNAME records would it look at my 000webhost account? If I set up a NS record, would the CNAME records defined at my registrar’s site still work? I guess I don’t understand the difference between creating a NS record and simply telling my registrar “Point everything to 000webhost!” Is there a difference?

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated. If there is another thread or article somewhere which explains this, please post a link because I wasn’t able to find anything which seemed to match my scenario. :slight_smile: Thank you!

You need to setup a record for each subdomain. It’s a very similar format:

SUB.MYDOMAIN.COM A XX.XX.XX.XX

(use same IP)

That wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be. Thanks for the quick response! It’s working perfectly now!

You’ve been having a lot of questions lately Alice, but unlike most you’re very detailed. @_@ Lets hope it will set an example for others to not use ‘helpnow!1!!1!’

Thanks for your kind words. I try to pace myself - only one question every few hours so I don’t irritate everyone with how new I am to this hosting stuff. :slight_smile:

I believe there is a direct correlation between the level of detail I can provide in my question & the speed at which someone will be able to give me a good answer. If I take a little extra time to organize my ideas and show you all I have tried my best to get a solution on my own, I think people are more willing to help me.

Hi Alice, I was trying to set my site up the same as what you were asking for in your post.

I’m trying to keep my old sub-domains etc with my hostname DNS Manager, but redirect my main www.mywebsite.com (a non sub-domain) to 000webhost.

I see that you made an “A” record MYDOMAIN.COM points to 000webhost-Account-IP-+1
I am curious as to why you had to add +1 to the webhost account IP and are not just using the ip given under CPanel without +1 to the IP.

Also before I forget to confirm, let’s say my “You can also point your domain (“A” DNS record) to:” IP 111.111.111.111
Would +1 mean 111.111.111.112 ?

Thanks for your help!

account free could not record cname