Extreme noob seeking help about SSL and DNS ( Wordpress site hosted on 000webhost + Cloudflare )

Hello !

First of all, big thanks to anyone reading this post, I hope you’re having a great day :smile:

So here we go, it may be a bit long so sorry for that :

• I have no website experience, I’m more in the “graphic” team, not the coding one
  • My Wordpress website is hosted on 000webhost and I’m using the Elementor plugin to build it
  • I would just like to have a little personal website that I’d be able to share on my Facebook page

The thing is, when I used the standard domain name offered by 000webhost, the url was secured but Facebook would ban it systematicaly = impossible to share it, I tried to contact Facebook support but no answer, and I saw that many people are in that case

So I decided to buy my own domain on Hostinger and was immediately able to share it on Facebook, but no more https… So now I can share my website but it’s not secured :roll_eyes:

( Also almost broke my website by changing Wordpress URLs it seems, fortunately it didn’t but man that was close :fearful: )

I almost bought an SSL certificate on Hostinger, but saw that someone else did that and couldn’t even use it since 000webhost don’t allow it :sleepy:

Finally, I saw that Cloudflare was mentionned many times for the SSL issue and gave it a try ( though the pinned tutorial pictures links are all broken ) following this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQpfWGXJc5s

I replaced the nameservers on Hostinger cPanel with the ones I got from Cloudflare and everything went fine until that part where you have to add the domain on 000webhost as a point domain, because my domain was already parked… I still did the manipulation but nothing happened, I understood that this is where I probably messed up and tried to find an alternative Cloudlfare tutorial for parked domains but nothing, I don’t even know if it’s even possible to do it

Then I had enough and went to sleep but in the morning I could access my website ( still not secured but that was expected ) but it was really weird, the home page seemed fine but the other pages weren’t accessible. I decided to download a backup of the website, it went successfuly, then a bit later the whole thing suddenly went down and I couldn’t even access the Wordpress login page

It was an error of DNS something = I figured that the nameservers were the matter so I deleted the domain on 000webhost, changed back the nameservers on Hostingers, added the domain once again, checked the nameservers and +/- 1hour later everything was fine again

So now I’m back in square 1, fully aware of how unexperimented I am and quite scared to mess up the whole thing again - especially on Wordpress - but still desperately trying to get that SSL certificate without having to suscribe to a plan that I don’t want just yet

If anyone with a similar experience or someone experimented could help me I would be really grateful, but please keep in mind that I’m a complete novice :no_mouth:

Okay, please change your Hostinger nameservers to cloudflare ones, and add two CNAME records in your cloudflare DNS tab
CNAME @ swords.000webhostapp.com
CNAME www swords.000webhostapp.com

Thank you for answering, it is done :

Okay, now, did you change your Hostinger nameservers to cloudflare ones?

Yes, I just did :slight_smile:

( post must be 20 characters long so I’m adding a random sentence )

Great! Now, we have to wait for DNS propagation, you can check here
https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#CNAME/
In the meantime, please go to Crypto and screenshot it please :slight_smile:

Thank you !

Here it is :

Great, so everything is ready!
Now, it is just a matter of time till DNS propagates.

Wonderful ! Thanks a lot for your help :sob:

But excuse me if this is a dumb question, but is it normal that my website disappeared on the meantime ? It also disappeared from “my domains” on 000webhost :flushed:

1 Like

I deleted the parked domain, because we will point it now.

Oh I see ! :smile: Thank you and sorry, I’m easily scared these days hahaha

1 Like

Seems like DNS propagation is slow.
Note: It can take up to 24 hours for DNS to fully propagate.

I understand, it’s all good as long as it works in the end :smile:

I’m seeing this for now :

Can you tell me what I should see as a sign that the DNS has fully propagated ? I’ll check it during the day and reply when I’ll see it :slight_smile:

@Silver786

Seems like SSL is fixed. Add content to your website :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like the DNS propagated, I will point it now :smiley:

Congrats! Refresh your page now ;)
2 Likes

I can’t believe it !!! :scream: So fast omg I went afk for a while and now I’m back and my dear website doesn’t troll me anymore !

Thank you soooooooo much for your incredibly fast help and support !!! You have no idea how much I love you right now :joy:

I was a bit scared because the formating of the homepage went all crazy for a sec but then it calmed down :joy: there is no “https” but no more red warnings or anything and that’s all I wanted really :sob:

Just one last thing, would you recommand installing some Cloudflare plugins on WP to make sure everything is stable ?

Thank you again for your precious help, much much much appreciated !

And have a great day :star_struck:

2 Likes

In your cloudflare cpanel, turn on always https :wink:

1 Like