The new 000webhost control panels allow users to change their domain name from the free subdomain to top level domain with ease. And this is a really great feature because if the webmaster ever decides that it is time to go to the next level with the website he is managing, domain name change to a premium one would be the first thing that comes to mind.
However, 000webhost do not manage domain registrations themselves, so users must purchase their premium domain names at other providers. This may not seem to be a big problem at first, but after some time you may simply forget where you have registered your new domain name. This is a common problem people face because at most times you do not need to manage your domain name, it is done by the registrar automatically. The name of the registrar can vanish from your head.
There is no need to be worried, though. In this tutorial, you will learn how to check where your domain is registered.
What you'll need
Before you begin this guide you'll need the following:
- Active 000webhost hosting account with premium domain name already set.
Step 1 — Copying your domain name
- Login to your 000webhost control panel. You can do this by visiting https://www.000webhost.com/cpanel-login
- Fill in your 000webhost details and login to your account.
- When you are inside your control panel, select Set web address at the top navigation bar.
- Make sure the website address is already set to your top level domain name.
IMPORTANT! If you see a free subdomain with 000webhostapp.com extension in domain name section, this means you are using a free subdomain provided by 000webhost and this tutorial will be of no use for you.
5. Select your domain name and copy it because in the next step we will use another tool to check where your domain is registered.
Step 2 — Checking the registrar of your domain name
In this part, we will use WHOIS service https://who.is, but you are free to use any other WHOIS listing you are familiar with.
- With your domain name copied, visit https://who.is
- In the center of the page, you will see a field where you can enter a domain name or an IP address. It looks like this:
- Paste or fill in your domain name in the field and click the search button.
- Wait for the results to be gathered and your screen will then display WHOIS information about your domain name.
- Search for Registrar Info section. Right at the top of this section, you should see all information about the registrar where this domain is registered.
- You will see the name of the registrar where your domain is registered. Usually, you should also see a link to the website of the provider.
With this information, you can determine where your domain name is registered and then navigate to the provider to manage your domain name.
Even if you forget where you registered your premium domain name, this tutorial should help you locate the provider. After you do this, you will be able to go the control panel of the registrar and manage your domain name settings, etc.