ISO-8859-1 is not showing letters with accents

In HTML with the line in the header, letters with simple accents such as ‘é’ are displayed on 000webhost.com as �

Changing to makes no difference.

This problem did not happen before the change to the “new panel”.

What is the solution, please?

The line enclosed by less and greater chars disappeared, they were:

In HTML with the line meta http-equiv=“Content-Type” content=“text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1” in the header, letters with simple accents such as ‘é’ are displayed on 000webhost.com as �

Changing to meta charset=“charset=ISO-8859-1” makes no difference.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I tried that. It made no difference. I am not using UTF-8 codes for simple accents.

I added a / to make it meta charset=“ISO-8859-1” /
After uploading, there was no difference.

You say it works? Is this after uploading to 000webhost.com?

(The extra charset= was a cut and paste error to the forum after the 1st version disappeared.)

It works as it should before uploading and after downloading. I checked the page source and nothing had been added after uploading.
It works on other hosts, but not 000webhost.com.

@andrius might advise

I have tried it with no charset specified - simple accented characters give � when uploaded to 000webhost.com.
I also tried it offline with charset=“UTF-8”. this gives � for simple accented characters as expected.

I can usually mix west European simple accented characters with Turkish or Persian or Hungarian or Russian etc by using codes such as & #257; for other accent marks, with charset=“ISO-8859-1”

I don’t think the charset statement is the problem - UTF-8 includes the accented characters too.

It doesn’t solve the problem, which is at 000webhost’s end, but you can get round it by changing those characters to their numeric value. I had the same problem on one of my websites - the character ä (a with diaeresis) appeared about 40 times over 20 pages. I did a global change to replace it with ä which gave the desired character on the website.

1 Like

UTF-8 does not include accented characters without using a code.
ISO-8859-1 will produce é when é is in the HTML.
It is a problem with 000webhost.com that should be fixed.

Specifying the charset in meta tags is useless, because the server is configured in such a way that it automatically specifies the charset within the transfer protocol. And the charset specified by the server is UTF-8.

I just taught to myself: if we can’t overwrite the charset using meta tags, maybe we can do it with PHP. I don’t expect it to work, but might worth a shot.

Add this line of code at the beginning of your document:

<?php header("Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1", true); ?>

Also, change your document’s extension to .php (in case your file isn’t a script already).

Please tell us the results.

1 Like

I tired this and it does work. It is an interesting solution, but, not a practical one. I have thousands of .htm files and all would have to be changed. Existing links would not point to the .php version.

This would not help others who may want to transfer their sites to 000webhost.com

See this thread: How to fix the character set (charset) issue

1 Like