Please Help ; Could not connect to MySQL server

Please somebody help.

I have installed Joomla! 1.5 and done everything as required including making a database. When i go to my site I get this error message :

Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL

is there a database setting which I should change? Appreciate for the help!

Hi,

Please make sure you entered correct mysql hostname, database name, username and password. The only reason why installation does not work - you entered wrong mysql connection details.

Hi ManXP,

Thanks for the reply. I have set everything correctly. Host is NOT Localhost as stated in the CP. I have tried 3 times with the same results. Any other possible reason maybe?

What about previliges in MySQL?

Can you login to phpMyadmin ?
If yes, it must be working. If no, please try drop database and create it again, we had a bug with 7 characters db name limit.

Yes i can login into phpMyadmin. But during installation of Joomla! i always get error message when installing the “Sample Data” it says XML error from the server.

Thanks for being patience and helping me.

ADDED BY MODERATOR:

I was wondering if anyone else had the same problems when installing Joomla! 1.5?

Please share your experiences.
thanks!

I was wondering if anyone else had the same problems when installing Joomla! 1.5?

Please share your experiences.
thanks!

Hi,

I did have very similar problem jusour ago:-). I did move my Joomla 1.0.15 site from another hosting to here.
I have created SQL database, with the user of course, then imported backup files to it using PHPMy Admin.
The verdict was; This site is not working, contact your administrator, could not connect to database server.

Well, I have deleted the database and user. Even reuploaded public_html folder. Then created everything again. The result was the same.
And…I admitted my stupidness, cause I didn’t change “localhost” to the actual name of my SQl server at 000webhost.
I did it manually in configuration.php
In my case it was:
$mosConfig_host = ‘localhost’;
changed to:
$mosConfig_host = ‘mysql1.000webhost.com’;

and…Bob’s your uncle!

Yuri Yeleyko

I did have very similar problem! but
I created database with 12 characters and password with 9 characters
And Vuala! then I could log in phpMyAdmin :rolleyes:

I am trying to access MySql server through mysql odbc for windows. I am not sure what the server host is, though. I’ve tried 890m.com (returned error: unknown mysql server host), srv5.890m.com (returned error: unknown mysql server host), 64.235.47.65 (IP for srv5.890m.com- returned error: can’t connect to MySQL server). I’ve added my IP for remote access host, but still can’t seem to connect.
I’m able to connect to my database through PHP Admin using localhost.
Any help on the MySQL server name or how to connect would be greatly appreciated.

If you are on srv5.890m.com, so your MySQL host is 64.235.47.65 if you try to access it from your computer and localhost if yo try to access from PHP script which is uploaded on server. Note that only applies on accounts on srv5.890m.com!

why i still could not connect to the database??? i have done all of the suggestion above… Somebody can help me please???:confused:

–>where can i find mysql host name??

You can find the sql host name by clicking ‘mysql’ in cpanel. There in bold letters you will see a message that says something similar to:

Important: MySQL Host for any database in this account is mysql1.000webhost.com, do not use localhost!

*Is my host, yours may be different.

tq fren… :wink:

I think MySQL here does not support ODBC driver. I did try using the suggested configuration but same result with enazb.

If any one here use ODBC for MySQL connection, please share with us how you do it.

Thanks

why not connect to my database “a2590260_bbkpm” on mysql2.000webhost.com? How access my database? Help me please!

thank…a2590260

check once again following things (inside your configuration file):

• name of the database;
  • name of the user;
  • is the user assigned to the database;
  • does the user have ALL privileges turned ON;
  • check user’s password;

these are usual things to check while we experience problem connecting to SQL databases.