[Solved?] Unable to update Wordpress to 4.7

I’ve installed Wordpress using 000webhost own installer, and after it succeed, wordpress itself tells me that there’s a new version available, 4.7. I’ve tried using the built-in updater from Wordpress and it gave the following error:

Download failed.: cURL error 6: Could not resolve host: downloads.wordpress.org; Unknown error

Installation Failed

I’ve tried to install a plugin from within Wordpress, but upon searching for one, I get this error:

An unexpected error occurred. Something may be wrong with WordPress.org or this server’s configuration.

I then tried to get Akismet, the already-installed bundeled anti-spam plugin, to recognize my API Key so it starts working, and I’m greeted with this error:

Akismet can’t connect to your site.
Your firewall may be blocking Akismet. Please contact your host and refer to our guide about firewalls.

So I’m starting to suspect there’s something blocking outgoing connections in 000webhost’s servers, or Wordpress died overnight and nobody noticed.

I would really appreciate some assistance.

Thanks.

PS: Oh, also, I can’t connect via FTP, not sure if it’s related or not.

I have the same issue. We can only hope for a speedy resolution.

Unfortunately, I’m also unable to connect via FTP, and there’s no way in hell I’m gonna attempt a manual upgrade via the regular file manager.

I get it’s a free hosting, and I know what to expect of it, but having a fundamentally broken Wordpress as a default option to set up your webpage upon registration is bad press in my opinion.

I hope they can figure out this issue before they scare away more people :frowning:

PS: I’m still unable to connect via FTP, 24hs after enabling it.

Ok, I tried updating again today and the theme was able to update and akismet was able to recognize my API Key.

Wordpress itself, on the other hand, was stuck on a failed attempt to update. I googled a little bit and several people suggested erasing a string from the database (wp_options/core_updater.lock), which I did.
I had to fetch the database login info from the file wp-config.php as it was randomly generated, in order to get inside the database.

After I did this, I tried again an was able to update Wordpress without a problem, which it’s a good thing because I still can’t use FTP to upload files.

FTP will be enabled if you verify your cellphone number.

I already have, it was one of the first things I did. The only profile thing I have left to do is to link a Facebook account, which I don’t have. The “profile completeness” percentage is at 98% because of that.

What is your print out from FileZilla when trying to connect?

Response: 331 User [REDACTED] OK. Password required
Command: PASS ********
Response: 530 Login authentication failed
Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server

I’ve tried several times changing the password, to make sure I wasn’t messing it up. It doesn’t work, not even with a password as stupid as 12345678.

What is your website please?

I’ve PM’ed you the URL.

1 Like

@andrius @excess still can’t access FTP tried turning it off/on and resetting/changing FTP password, he can connect other accounts via files.000webhost.com just not his own username/password combo? :head_bandage:

1 Like