Upgrade php 5.2.X to 5.3.X

There are discussions about upgrading free accounts from 5.2.17 to 5.3.10. No final decision has been made so.

[POST MOVED]

Please support Joomla 3.0.x version.

000webhost current : 5.2.*

not support for Joomla 3.0.x

Your host needs to use PHP 5.3.1 or higher to run this version of Joomla!

Thanks

The latest stable 5.3 version is 5.3.23 I see. But the CURRENT, most up to date stable version is 5.4.13. Then again, you could wait for 5.5 to get official.
:slight_smile:

I just started trying to utilize my free account and eventually move up to a paid account, but now I don’t think I will. Version 5.2.17 is 2.5 years old. Many CMS platforms and other tools require 5.3.x.

If I eventually pay for hosting service, there are many others that perform more timely updates. Jeez, this thread is two years old.

Paid hosting offers php5.3

I can’t move my sites over until I test the quality of service. And I can’t do that because they all require PHP 5.3.x.

It just seems like a silly limitation for free users. Being limited by storage, bandwidth and features makes total sense. But to be limited to outdated (and less secure) versions of languages is quite prohibitive.

[POST MOVED]

Its going to take a few more requests before they consider upgrading, as with most web hosts they won’t upgrade core components like PHP etc unless it is really necessary as sometimes upgrades can cause unexpected problems.

We have consider it for a long time but due to our resource and the amount of work that involve to retrofit and the compatibility that will break all sites on the current servers is too much to bear so the upgrade won’t happen however any new server will be built with 5.3 so look out for any new server when you create an account in the future.

I hope this will help to clear the upgrade question because it won’t happen for the current server.

Is there really a huge improvement to PHP 5.3?

Yes, austingrd, just read back the posts on this forum on the subject.
There doesn’t need to be an issue with the compatibility for existing sites, as the old and new version can exist side by side. Keep the default for old sites on 5.2 and make it 5.3 for the new ones, while users can override the default when needed.
The request for this change has been done so many times already, asking for more would be silly.
The biggest grievance is that the policy they apply doesn’t fit what is announced before you sign up. Latest versions and full support are promised, but not delivered, and effects of badly configured servers are blamed on the users.
It is clear that the servers have been set up years ago, and they didn’t want to put ANY effort in maintenance since. OK, it’s a free service, but then be honest about it up front, BEFORE people invest time in trying it out.

Yes it should be stated it’s not the latest php version, but I don’t think you waste much time in finding that out - it’s there in the control panel on the right what version is being used.

You all heard the admin. Give up! :smiley:

http://www.1freehosting.com

[LIST]
[*]PHP 5.2, 5.3, 5.4

[*]10GB Hosting space

[*]10GB Bandwidth unless you have 2,000+ visitors

[*]No ads

[*]PDO, Curl, Mcrypt, JSON

[*]128MB Memory limit

[*]30 sec max execution time

[*]Even worse crappy free service
[/LIST]

I think this is your best bet

Huge improvements on Objects handling. Also PHP 5.3 removes a lot of legacy code. Breaks most software especially WordPress etc. So I don’t know why people are pushing for it. Maybe cause of the efficiency of the new version.

5.3 introduces a lot of functions that make programming easier.

You can see the changelog here:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration53.new-features.php

http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration53.incompatible.php

My error msg :frowning:

PHP 5.2.17 is not supported. Minimum required version is PHP 5.3.1, but it is higly recommended to use PHP 5.4.14 or later.

I love the free service here, but 
 you know, I’d really need PHP 5.3. Sadly, if it will not be put in the next few days, I may leave this site quite soon.

HA! And you think the lazy asses who manage this webhost would really update to 5.3? Who knows, I’ll bet they’re running their hosting servers on potatoes.

Nope, they only like carrots I’m afraid. A whiff of potatoes and they throw a tantrum :stuck_out_tongue:

Aw darn, I could’ve sworn from all the php errors that it was potatoes.

What is what you find out only AFTER you create an account.

Last time I checked, yep
 computer full of chips.