What ever happened to simple?

Apologies to those who already spent the time to learn everything :grinning:
I came to 000webhost after trying lots of web building sites, and I imagine many others did too. What I (we?) want to do is really very simple. (Well actually some people do have complicated problems and others do lack basic computer skills) Nevertheless, I believe our problems are similar. We all have experience with word processors and know about arranging things in that environment. What I have discovered is that html based page builders IGNORE that environment. I suppose that is somewhat understandable since the intertoobs needed a new way to communicate and web pages needed to be flexible to accommodate environment requirements that have nothing to do with wordsmithing. NEVERTHELESS, there seems to be a complete contempt for people who do want to do something simple.

To wit: I have written a paper that I want to publish online, on my own blog. I spent considerable effort to get it to look exactly like I want it. Believe me, all I want to do is publish this thing. I’m not looking for money or internet fame or multi-inter-device-platform-social-gee-whizzability. Just a straight, simple clean page to publish on.

Since none of the blog hosts I have visited allows simply pouring a MSWord document onto a page, adjusting the white space around the edges and walking away, I finally converted the document to html as a first step. So now I’m good to go, I thought. Hah! Every hosting site has its own special kinks. While some seem to offer a way to pour the html code into a form, and others allow the file to be uploaded directly, none of them so far will actually (let me?) finish the job. And I’ve tried a fair number of them at this point.

My html file displays just fine in my (Chrome based) browser. I can upload it to 000webhost and see a page that looks fine here: https://therootofthings.000webhostapp.com/The-root-of-things.html EDIT: Apparently only I can see it there. Tried it on another computer and get a 404 error. But, it won’t show my paper on my blog url https://therootofthings.000webhostapp.com/. Nothing does. I get errors and have tried many things to fix them.

I have read many forum posts from people with similar problems. The responses almost without exception can be summarized as “We went through hell learning html, page coding and structure, etc. so you should too.” On this web host, it seems I need an index.html or index.php file, but the host site offers no help, no examples and the forum responses are no use either.I don’t want a theme or any other fill-in-the-blanks form because not a single one does what I want.

Can somebody offer a clearly thought through and clearly stated simple way to resolve this problem? Cut and paste code? Whatever. I am sure that a great many people could benefit from a straightforward, simple, easily executed solution.

Thanks

Honestly, webhosts couldnt do anything useful if they spent time supporting every single format the users need. What you are expecting is not really possible from any web host and you need to stop complaining and figure out how to get the document into the correct format (usually html).

First google search gave this: https://www.froala.com/wysiwyg-editor. Maybe itll help you create the html correctly. Once you have the html, its not too hard to have that uploaded and hosted correctly. Tons of help on this forum if you need finer steps for that.

Html seems to mean different things. I used a program to convert my Word doc to html. That html file displays just fine in my Vivaldi browser. That same file https://therootofthings.000webhostapp.com/The-root-of-things.html also displays just fine (but only on my computer), seemingly hosted by 000webhostapp. All of that being the case what am I missing? I’ll go look at the editor you gave a link to. Thanks.

Went and looked at Froala. $99 license for something I don’t want, which is to become a web page creator. I have other wsyiwyg page builders. They all suffer from the same bias I mentioned in my OP. Maybe I’m on the wrong web host. Maybe there isn’t a ‘right’ web host. The plain fact seems to be that all of these hosts want you to do it their way themes, etc., some even insisting that their weak-a$$ online editors are perfect for the job!
Is there a way to take a Word document and put it up on the web AS IS (perhaps converting to html first)? It seems like not.

Why not convert the doc file to a PDF one, and upload it? :slight_smile:

Thanks. I did that on another web host. However, some people complained about the pdf format. The other problem is that sometimes I update the paper and the other web host, I won’t say who (cough wordpress cough, cough) insists on changing the file name with each new uploaded version. That made it necessary to change the links I posted on other websites leading to my paper. What a headache.

BUT, I found a way to upload both the html version I made and the pdf version to 000webhost! Instead of pointing people to the front page, I can now point them at the page I want them to see AND I can maintain filename control here on 000webhost!!! So I solved my own problem but it was not easy. I had to get around website builder wanting to force a theme on me and get to a blank page where I could drop the documents. Then let website builder compose the website with all the pointless files required by html (.htaccess, index.html etc.) When it was satisfied, then I could find the url where it would show each format of the file and rip the address directly from that.

Still don’t understand why I can’t just put the document on the front page of the website, but I never wanted to become a web guru, so I won’t. And I’ll stop worrying about it too.

I am still wondering whatever happened to simple. Complex must be a hell of a money maker!
Here is the link to the html version: https://therootofthings.000webhostapp.com/gallery/the-root-of-things.html

1 Like