Every business needs an online presence, and having a website is a great first step to achieve that. Your site will be the front door to your business, playing a significant role in creating strong first impressions.
Nowadays, even the smallest companies can afford to build a website of their own. Website builders make it easy to create any site a business might need — from a one-page website to a full-blown eCommerce store.
However, with so many options available, you need to pick one that can accommodate your needs. In this article, we have compiled a list of the best website builders on the market, along with their pros and cons, to help you make the best decision.
Table of Contents
Zyro is a versatile solution for all of your website development needs. Its user-friendly interface is easy to navigate, and AI-powered tools help you design a business website within a few hours.
All the key features needed to build a website will be available to you, such as free pre-built templates, thousands of high-quality stock photos, and an intuitive drag-and-drop site builder.
To customize a template, simply click on one of the elements and tweak its settings and position however you see fit. You can add custom images, personalize your content, and add new pages.
Should you need to alter the layout, the grid system will ensure that all elements will be aligned perfectly. Furthermore, all websites built with Zyro are SEO-optimized right out of the gate.
Zyro also offers a free AI Content Generator which allows you to create content for your website based on the keywords you want to use. All you need to do is select a category or type in some sentences of your own, and Zyro’s AI Writer will automatically generate a unique piece of text for you.
This feature will not only spare you time but also save you the need to hire professional copywriters to write content for your website.
Three pricing plans are available for Zyro — the Free plan comes with all the previously mentioned features, plus an SSL certificate, and 24/7 customer support.
Its Basic plan removes ads and includes a free domain for one year, all for $1.99/month. Meanwhile, the Unleashed plan costs $3.49/month and comes with Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel, Google Tag Manager, and unlimited storage space.
- Simple, yet feature-rich drag-and-drop grid system, making sure that all of your website elements are right where they need to be
- AI-powered tools, such as the AI Writer that can generate custom content based on your niche or AI Slogan Generator
- Affordable plans, perfect for all types of businesses
- Some features are still in development, so certain tools for eCommerce are still on the way
There are two versions of WordPress available – the self-hosted one WordPress.org and the website builder itself WordPress.com.
While you won’t get as much freedom as building a website from scratch, WordPress.com offers plenty of tools and plugins to get your new business website up and running. Unlike its counterpart, WordPress.com is fully-hosted. It’s designed for all types of websites in mind — from personal blogs to full-blown online stores. Hence why so many professional businesses choose WordPress as their go-to website builder.
There is a free plan available that lets you pick from a number of different themes for your site. You’ll also get a free SSL certificate and 3 GB of storage.
Paid plan options are also available, starting from $4/month for a Personal plan all the way up to $45/month for an eCommerce plan, designed specifically with online stores in mind.
However, if you’ll ever want to migrate your website to a powerful CMS such as WordPress.org, that can be easily done without much hassle. If you’ll be looking for a reliable web hosting solution, you will not go wrong by choosing Hostinger.
- Known for an extensive library of plugins and tools, which opens even more customization for your website
- WordPress is highly popular, so there are a lot of communities and tutorials available to help you get familiar with the platform
- Plenty of online guides and tutorials in case you get stuck, that features a wide community of users
- Only paid plans have the option to install plugins and the ability to edit back-end code
- When using the free version, you’ll have to keep the WordPress subdomain and ads
Squarespace is known for its image-driven templates — perfect for small sites that need to showcase their products and services. What’s more, most of those templates include a full-screen header featuring an image that represents the site’s niche.
Several template categories are available to help you find what you’re looking for, such as Blogs & Podcasts, Events, Restaurants, Weddings, and Portfolios.
On top of that, each template has its own style of pages and features that are adjusted to the primary goal of the site. For instance, restaurant templates will have a photo gallery, menu page, and reservation forms.
Unlike other website builders, Squarespace’s editor does not use drag-and-drop functionality. Therefore, Squarespace is not very beginner-friendly. Many options are buried deep within the menus, making the builder less intuitive, and you might need to watch video tutorials to master all of its features.
Squarespace doesn’t come for free. You can use its 14-day free trial to test it out, but once that’s expired, you have to pick a plan. Their prices range from $12 to $40 per month, billed annually. However, the prices will change if you choose the monthly subscription type.
All plans include a free custom domain, an SSL certificate, unlimited bandwidth and storage, and 24/7 customer support. Meanwhile, the top-tier plans will give you $100 Google Adwords Credits, advanced website analytics, and eCommerce functions.
- Beautiful and attractive templates, perfect for all types of industries
- You can create an online store with their Commerce plan, which includes automatic shipping rates, sale analytics, automated emails, and automatic discounts for qualifying orders
- There’s no free plan available, with only the 14-day free trial available
- All of the available extensions are not officially supported and therefore the platform cannot guarantee the compatibility and functionality of those features
Wix is one of the most popular website builders, with over 145 million registered users.
Upon signing up, Wix’s Artificial Design Intelligence will ask you several questions, like the type of website you’re building, what features you want to include, and the overall theme of the website. Once finished, ADI will generate a few templates, and you just need to choose the one you like the most.
As such, thanks to ADI, creating a website is quick and easy. You don’t have to spend time thinking about the layout and design, thus allowing you to focus more on your business.
If you prefer a more personal touch, choose the template yourself. There are more than 300 free templates available, and they’re specifically catered to different businesses and industries. For example, there are templates for dog daycare centers, locksmith businesses, and electronic artists.
Wix’s editor is easy to use, too — the essential settings like menus, pages, and a blog manager are on the left, while the element editor toolbar can be found on the right. Should you need to tweak other settings like social sharing and admin permissions, you can easily go to the Settings menu found in the top toolbar.
A free plan is available for Wix, but your website will include ads and use a Wix subdomain. Meanwhile, for its premium plans, Wix offers two categories — Website and Business & eCommerce. The former category ranges from $4.50 to $24.50/month, while the latter ranges from $17 to $35/month.
Depending on the type of business you are going for, you should pick a plan that suits your small business best. The Business & eCommerce plans are perfect for those who want to create an online store, while the Website plans can be used to create regular business websites.
- Equipped with ADI, you can have your website up and running in no time
- A wide variety of templates specific to your type of business.
- Lots of additional features, such as slider galleries, a Spotify player, Google Maps, and social sharing buttons
- Once your website is published, it’s impossible to change the template. If you want to have a different design, you need to start all over again
- You need to upgrade to at least the Combo plan for $8.50/month in order to have an ad-free website
Shopify is a popular website builder that specializes in creating eCommerce websites. More than one million businesses use Shopify as a way to sell their products online, as it has everything you need to create a beautiful and functional online store.
For starters, Shopify has more than 70 themes that are categorized into many different business industries, such as Electronics, Food & Drink, Sports & Recreation, and Furniture.
It also offers plenty of eCommerce features to help you run your online store. For example, you can install more than 100 payment gateways, set up a dropshipping business, create email templates, and translate your site into different languages.
Unfortunately, this website builder does not have a free plan, and its pricing is quite high. You do get a free trial for 14 days, but after that, you’ll have to subscribe to one of its three plans — Basic Shopify for $29/month, Shopify for $79/month, or Advanced Shopify for $299/month.
The low-tier plan should be enough for a small business, with features like unlimited products, discount codes, an SSL certificate, and 24/7 support.
If you need the advanced report builder and third-party calculated shipping rates, feel free to purchase the Advanced Shopify plan. However, note that the shipping rate calculator only works for stores that are based in the US and Canada.
- Includes extensive documentation, making it easy for everyone to master this website builder
- The Shopify App Store has tons of apps that can improve your online store — there are tools to improve your store design, marketing, orders and shipping, and so on
- Complete built-in eCommerce features, from payment options to customer reports
- Integrates well with other platforms like Facebook and Amazon, so you can easily sell your products on multiple channels
- There’s an extra transaction fee if you use third-party payment providers like PayPal
- It is relatively expensive compared to other website builders, which can be a downside for small business owners
Mozello is the only website builder on this list that allows you to build an online store for free. It also charges no transaction fees for each sale, making this an affordable eCommerce solution.
Once you created an account, Mozello will ask the type of website you’re going to build. Make sure to choose accordingly because the templates will be adjusted to your answer.
If you want to create an online shop, you’ll find the Catalog menu on the left side of the website editor. This is where you’ll add products, group them into several categories, view orders, and much more.
Furthermore, creating blog posts with Mozello is also an option, if you so desire. t is possible to use Mozello for free. However, the storage is limited to 500 MB, and you can only sell up to five items.
Two paid plans are available if you need premium features — Premium for $/month and Premium Plus for $14/month.
With the Premium plan, you’ll get 50 GB of storage, a free domain name, and an online store for 15 items. On the other hand, the Premium Plus plan offers unlimited storage and no limit on the number of items you can have on your website.
- One of the most affordable options on this list
- Its free plan comes along with powerful eCommerce features, which is a perfect option if you’re just starting out with your online store
- Your business website can be integrated with Google Analytics, even if you’re not using one of the premium plans.
- Connect your website with Engaga to create email subscription pop-ups and collect leads
- Website design templates are pretty basic, and you can’t build a website from scratch
- There’s no phone or live chat support. Should you need any help, you have to reach them via email.
Site123 focuses on getting a website live quickly. To create a website, you only need to do three simple steps — select a site category, enter a name, and then customize the template.
It’s important to note here that you cannot select a template yourself. Site123 will automatically assign you one according to the category you picked when signing up. Some of those selections include Business, Transportation Services, Photography, and Music.
Instead of changing templates, what you can do is alter the overall theme. This consists of the color scheme and fonts used throughout your website.
That said, what it lacks in design, it makes up for in SEO optimization. Each page has custom SEO settings where you can find your sitemap, edit the title and description meta tags, and insert focus keywords.
It also offers 24/7 customer support, third-party plugins, and unlimited websites under one account.
Site123 premium plans start from $5.80/month, billed yearly. If you want to have access to a complete set of features, go for the Gold plan which is $23.80/month. It offers a free domain, eCommerce tools, website statistics, and five language options.
- Very simple to use, allowing you to build a website within minutes
- Complete eCommerce tools – select your preferred currency, sell digital goods, display related products, and customize the order form
- Tons of third-party apps to extend the functionality of your site
- No drag-and-drop editor, so the customization is pretty limited to what the template has to offer
- You can’t change the template once the website is published
Weebly takes pride in its eCommerce capabilities. If you simply want to add a product, for instance, you can do so with only a few clicks. Several product types are available — physical, donation, membership, event, and food and drink. You can also set the fulfillment option, whether it’s shipped or picked up by customers themselves.
What’s more, if you choose to create an online store, this website builder will offer several prebuilt sections for your homepage — this includes Location and Hours, Featured Items, Customer Tutorials, and Email Subscriptions. You can rearrange these sections and choose the layout that fits your site the most.
In terms of the site editor, Weebly offers a drag-and-drop builder that is very beginner-friendly. Just choose the elements you want to add from the left panel, and then drop it to where you want it to be.
Should you need to add more features to your small business website, feel free to explore the App Center, and find one that best matches your needs.
Weebly’s pricing plans start from $6/month for their Personal plan to Performance, which is available for $26/month.
- You can use a video as the header’s background — upload one yourself or choose one from Weebly’s gallery
- You can view the performance of your marketing automation, ads, sales, or emails
- Various options for pop-ups for your site — subscription offers, announcements, age verification, and coupon deals
- There’s no undo feature, so it will be difficult to remove the changes you’ve made
- Weebly’s drag-and-drop editor can be pretty slow
Unlike other website builders, Strikingly focuses on creating single-page sites for small business owners — this includes portfolios, events, or landing pages.
However, don’t let the thought of one-page sites deter you from using this website builder. Even without using the traditional design, Strikingly can offer various sections for your website, such as a Store, Blog, Social Feed, and Photo Gallery.
Most templates use images with a parallax effect to separate the sections of your website — this effect will create a modern and sleek look to your website.
Despite its focus on one-page websites, it’s possible to create a multi-page site with Strikingly. However, you need to upgrade to its Pro plan for $16/month. With it, you’ll also get to invite collaborators, password-protect your site, and install extensions.
If you only need to connect a custom domain and upgrade the resources, go for the Limited plan for $8/month instead.
- Includes a quick tour explaining all the website tools available and what they do
- Features an SEO checklist to help you get discovered by search engines more efficiently
- Built-in email marketing feature, which you can use to send newsletters and promotional emails
- It’s possible to add custom codes to the header and footer of your websites, however, this feature is available for Pro users.
- Even their priciest plan has limitations in some cases — for instance, you’re only allowed to sell up to 300 products
- You need to upgrade to the Pro plan if you want to add new pages to your website
BigCommerce is a website builder dedicated to building an eCommerce website, just like Shopify. To help you design an online store, BigCommerce provides more than 80 themes, both free and premium.
However, what you can do with the theme is pretty limited. You’re only allowed to change colors, fonts, logo size, and what elements you want to show. Anything else is already fixed in place, so you need to be thorough before settling for a particular template.
Designs and customizations aside, BigCommerce stands out with its multichannel selling. Your store can be connected to various platforms like eBay, Amazon, Facebook, and Google Shopping.
You can also manage your site on the go with BigCommerce mobile app. All the necessary data and features are available here, from orders to customer details.
To help boost traffic, all websites built with BigCommerce will have optimized URLs, automatic sitemaps, and responsive themes. You also have the freedom to edit title tags and meta descriptions.
BigCommerce does not have a free plan, but you can start a 15-day free trial before committing to a plan. In the case of plan prices, it ranges from $29.95 to $299.95/month.
- There are no transaction fees. and you’ll get a special processing fee for debit and credit cards if you’re using PayPal
- Manage multichannel selling within one dashboard, streamlining the process
- You can create promotional banners, coupon codes, gift certificates, and much more
- There is a limit on your annual sales, depending on the plan you use. For example, the lowest plan allows you to make $50,000/year and if you exceed the limit, you need to upgrade to a higher plan
- Very limited customization options
Building a website with WebStarts is very simple. There is no need for you to have any background in coding, which is fitting for small business owners. However, if you have some experience and want to access HTML for deeper customization, you can do so as well.
WebStarts use a drag-and-drop site editor, and the process is straightforward. It is also possible to create a membership website if you wish.
There are many other features that WebStarts has to offer, but they’re available for premium users only. Some examples are contact forms, email marketing tools, and search engine submission.
Two premium plans are available to choose from — Pro Plus plan for $7.16/month and Business plan for $19.99/month.
- You can add live chats and protect your content by disabling the right-click function
- Integrated with a Content Delivery Network (CDN) to improve your site speed. However, this feature is available for Business plan users only
- Free advertising credits — $250 for Pro Plus, and $500 for Business
- You need their premium plan to incorporate SSL, which is usually offered free on other website builders
- Builder’s interface looks rather outdated
Which One is the Best Website Builder for Small Businesses?
Website builders help small business owners to create a website within hours — pick a template, customize the content to fit your brand, and publish it. With the help of these tools, there’s really no reason not to have a website.
In summary, here are the best website builders available:
- Zyro — affordable, powerful, and packs all the tools needed to build a business website
- WordPress — the most popular website builder out there
- Squarespace — features beautiful and eye-catching designs
- Wix —uses Artificial Design Intelligence to help you build your website
- Shopify — the most popular eCommerce website builder, used by many professional businesses
- Mozello — great website builder for small businesses as it can create an eCommerce store for free
- Site123 — an excellent website builder with strong SEO options
- Weebly — has polenta of prebuilt sections to choose from
- Strikingly — great for single-page websites
- BigCommerce — has the best store management tools available
- WebStarts —favored for creating membership websites
We hope this article has made it easier for you to decide which website builder to go for. Best of luck to you and don’t hesitate to leave a comment down below.