6 months I'm still having trouble

tell me what CMS to get (in your opinion of course)

My bad :slight_smile:
You don´t have to use “admin”. To change your admin username, open phpMyAdmin and browse to your WordPress database. Locate the users table, in which you will find a user_login column. One of the rows will have admin in the field. Change this to something else.

WordPress. As simple as that. Even if people refer to it as Blogging script it offers the same functionality of most CMS solutions (give or take a function) and it has a lot of plugins available, plus the Support Community at wordpress.org is really good :slight_smile:

I can’t get Wordpress to work properly. I’m going to have to read.
I’m trying to install the plugin for integrating the forum and it won’t take the “connection information”. I have no idea what it wants.

What do you mean with “properly”?
If you can´t get a plugin installed in WordPress directly you can still download the plugin and upload it via FTP to the wp-plugins directory, then activate it in WP´s admin dashboard -> plugins

I may try that, what I’m having problems with is it is asking for connection information to install the plugin and I’ve tried every possible combination of Hostname, username, and password and it either gives me an incorrect username or password, or it just sits there. how long should it take and should it just sit there? at the bottom of Firefox it just says “waiting for classicblog.webatu.com…”

hostname would be your FTP server, user name and password your ftp details. I tried a while ago with WP 2.9.2 and it worked fine. You are running WordPress 3.0.0 on your site i assume?

I think I broke it. it won’t even load the page anymore. it just times out. I may just reload the site and upload again.

if you still have trouble after reloading would you mind me having a look at the installation in case anything went wrong?

I can’t log into the page through FTP or see the page with Firefox, out of curiosity can you see it?

yup, shows me the default page

Ok, I guess it just took a while to reset.
here is what I got last time and what I got this time.

Site displays fine for me, shows a default WP installation.

yes but… see in the address bar we get to step two where you setup more items and the page is blank? I fill out the first page which asks for the title of the page and my e-mail address. once you hit next it goes to this page with nothing on it. it’s only kinda set up, the parts that are not set up cause it to mess up trying to do other things.
I used Ubuntu’s version of wordpress, I may go download it from the Wordpress site and try again.

Always a good idea to download the latest version :slight_smile:
See how that goes, i know for sure that WP can be installed here without any problems, installed about a dozen Blogs so far.

got it successfully installed! now I’m going to try to figure out the forum plugin. the one I’ve found is called “Wp2BB” the example they give is here:
http://www.perspicalia.com/foros/

this looks fine. my next concern is that the forum is up and running. can I just delete the site as it exists at classicbicycles.comuv.com with the exception of the phpBB folder and database and upload Wordpress in it’s place? another possible is Wordpress could stay where it is if it will allow me to attach the forum from the different web address. ie. Wordpress at classigblog.webatu.com and the forum at classicbicycles.comuv.com which is the best solution in your opinion?

The best solution imho is to not split components of an entire website, like a forum, across multiple websites. I would move the forum from classicbicycles to your classicblog site and add it to WordPress using any sort of Bridge like the aforementioned WP2BB.

how hard is it to move the forum?
wouldn’t it be easier to install Wordpress where the forum is?

Backup the phpBB database
Create 2nd database in your cpanel for classicblog
Import the database through phpMyAdmin
Copy the forum files and folders over from classicbicycles to classicblog…/forum
Change the phpBB config file and fill in your new database details.

That´s how you would move phpBB, but installing WP at where the forum is already is also an option. It pretty much depends on how lazy one is hehe

I think I’ve found it!
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1438655
http://www.gloucestershireorchardgroup.org.uk/