Add Zendesk Chat to your site
In today’s day in age, it’s more important than ever to stay in touch with your users. Installing a live chat service onto your website allows you to message your users in real-time, without the need to communicate over phone or email. Many live chat providers exist today, both paid and free, which provide their own set of features and advantages. In this tutorial, we’ll focus on adding Zendesk Chat (formerly Zopim) to your 000webhost website.
1. Visit the Zendesk Chat homepage
As a first step, you’ll want to visit the Zendesk Chat website, where you can explore the features that Zendesk Chat offers and sign up for a new account.
As of this writing, Zendesk offers 3 different suite plans that include access to Zendesk Chat.
Suite Team - $49 per agent/month
Suite Growth- $79 per agent/month
Suite Professional- $99 per agent/month
While you’re on the homepage, click the “Free Trial” button located at the top of the page. When you create an account, you’re given a 14 day trial period to try out Zendesk before you purchase a paid plan.
2. Enter your email addressOnce you've entered the signup workflow, you'll first be asked for your work email address. Here, enter the email address you'd like to use to sign in to your Zendesk account. In a few steps, you'll be required to confirm your email, so make sure you enter an address you can receive emails from.
3. Enter your personal detailsAt this step, you're asked to provide your first name, last name, and phone number. This information will be used across Zendesk and will show inside Zendesk Chat when messaging with your users.
4. Enter your company detailsThis last and final step requires the most information from you, but helps you set up your company within the Zendesk platform. This section is pretty straight-forward, but you'll need to provide your company name and the number of employees you have. Then, it'll ask what you're solving for, which you can usually keep as the default. Your Zendesk subdomain can be anything you'd like and will be the URL you use to access Zendesk Chat. Finally, just choose your language and create a password.
5. Verify your Zendesk account
Once you’ve completed the signup process, you’ll receive an automated email from Zendesk that will ask you to confirm your email. Simply click the button in the email that is sent to you and your account will be verified and ready to use.
6. Complete the setup process
Once you’ve logged into Zendesk Chat, you’re walked through a 3-step process that just finalizes a few extra steps to setting up your Zendesk Chat user account. Once you reach the final step, you’re presented with your embed code, which is used to display the Zendesk Chat widget on your website. Copy the code it gives you.
7. Paste the code into your site
Now that you have the Zendesk Chat embed code, you can add it into your site’s code structure. You’ll want to paste the embed code right before the closing
</body> tag for the best results. Then, save the file(s). This step will vary depending on whether you have a custom built site or using a CMS like WordPress, but the process remains just as easy.
8. Confirm Zendesk Chat works
To confirm the Zendesk Chat widget was added to your site correctly, load up your website in a browser. You should see a floating chat button and when clicked, the chat widget should open, as seen below. If you see this, you’re ready to start messaging your customers. Congrats!