Can you have ssl on free hosting?

Where can you go to add an ssl certificate, if possible, to a free plan?

Yes, it is possible, though you have to own a domain.
You can grab a free one here, then follow this tutorial on how to use cloudflare for SSL

If you need any more help, don’t hesitate to ask us!

I already have a domain and the ssl certificate which I bought through hostinger, I just dont know where do go.

So you have a hostinger account?

Yes I do. I bought both my domain and ssl on there.

Did you try live chatting with their support team?

I have not. I’m used to hostgator where you give them the ssl and they upload it for you so I’m not sure what my next steps should be. Would contacting them be my best option?

Yes, it’s the best thing to do.
Or, if you want, you can use cloudflare for SSL

1 Like

Ok, thanks for your help!

No problem :slight_smile:

Hi @fierceviper!

Hostinger issues you certificates in order to let you install them in your origin server. If your website is linked to 000webhost there is no way you can set up SSL certificates for your server as free plans do no offer this feature (not for signed certificates anyway)

You’ll either need a paid plan, or a VPS to make use of your bought certificates.

But your best bet would be to follow what @ckhawand suggested: use Cloudflare for HTTPS :wink:

Getting SSL for your site only by using CloudFlare isn’t secure because the connection between CloudFlare and your origin server (000webhost in this case) is via HTTP, not HTTPS. Does 000webhost have plans to ever allow SSL certificates to be installed for sites on free plans?

We have no plans to introduce it on the free plan it just won’t work with the way our backend resolves currently.

See more information here from @domjh

1 Like