Deleting a cache plugin

Many of you are unaware that cache plugins may cause more harm than good on the 000webhost platform, because 000webhost does not support them :confused:
Anyway, we’re here to learn right?
Today, we’ll be learning a quickie tutorial on how to manually delete that plugin if you can’t access the wp-admin anymore.

Let’s go!

To fix the issue, login to the online file manager, enter your .htaccess file, and delete everything not between

#BEGIN WORDPRESS

#END WORDPRESS

Then, go to wp-contents, then wp-plugins (or plugins) then delete the cache plugin’s dir.

Getting Application error 500
Application error W3 Total Cache
Application Error 500 when trying to install plugin
Erro 500 - pluggin w3 total cache

Can you provide some references for that? I imagine that would be tricky, since “cache plugins” are going to be a varied bunch, and will work in a variety of ways. Is there a removed PHP module or disabled function that would prevent a cache plugin from working?

I understand the underlying problem, which is that some WordPress plugins use high levels of database and CPU resource. However, a file-based cache would be OK, right?

I agree with @halfer file based cache plugins can even cut CPU costs. Less CPU usage and Database queries too. I think instead of putting websites to sleep or mining mode, you can build a custom 000webhost exclusive cache plugin that saves CPU cycles by file caching method. Or maybe just allow support for file based cache plugins because making a 000webhost exclusive plugin sounds difficult.

Okay, so the process is easy, anyone can create a COMPATIBLE cache plugin with 000webhost, and in exchange, they will get 20 website slots :slight_smile:

I imagine that it exists already, with the right settings. Is there a specification available for what constitutes a 000webhost-compatible cache plugin, or can one be written? What must such a thing do or not do, exactly?

Most of cache plugins which play alot with .htaccess are not supported.

OK, that’s a start. .htaccess files are used to set Apache directives on a per-folder basis.

What things in htaccess are allowed and disallowed? Will the disallowed things technically work but earn the user a telling-off, or will they not work because they will cause a fatal error? I would imagine things like mod_rewrite directives will be fine, since they are a bread-and-butter usage of .htaccess files.

Could we perhaps get a Hostinger developer to pop in here and make a list, or explain what the judgement call is between this or that directive?

I’ve added a task for the devops, however they have more important priorities now.

What if we are using more than 10 plugins on our wordpress? Is it good or bad. Will it be using cache?

Do not recommend using too much

You can use any plugin you want except any optimisation plugin or cache plugin because they are not supported here.
If you use too much plugins then it will slow down your WordPress website and it will hit MySQL queries very fast. So you will be unable to open your website and as @ckhawand said it is not recommended at all.