Deleting a cache plugin

Many of you are unaware that cache plugins may cause more harm than good on the 000webhost platform, because 000webhost does not support them :confused:
Anyway, we’re here to learn right?
Today, we’ll be learning a quickie tutorial on how to manually delete that plugin if you can’t access the wp-admin anymore.

Let’s go!

To fix the issue, login to the online file manager, enter your .htaccess file, and delete everything not between

#BEGIN WORDPRESS

#END WORDPRESS

Then, go to wp-contents, then wp-plugins (or plugins) then delete the cache plugin’s dir.

Getting Application error 500
Application Error 500 when trying to install plugin
Erro 500 - pluggin w3 total cache

Can you provide some references for that? I imagine that would be tricky, since “cache plugins” are going to be a varied bunch, and will work in a variety of ways. Is there a removed PHP module or disabled function that would prevent a cache plugin from working?

I understand the underlying problem, which is that some WordPress plugins use high levels of database and CPU resource. However, a file-based cache would be OK, right?

I agree with @halfer file based cache plugins can even cut CPU costs. Less CPU usage and Database queries too. I think instead of putting websites to sleep or mining mode, you can build a custom 000webhost exclusive cache plugin that saves CPU cycles by file caching method. Or maybe just allow support for file based cache plugins because making a 000webhost exclusive plugin sounds difficult.

Okay, so the process is easy, anyone can create a COMPATIBLE cache plugin with 000webhost, and in exchange, they will get 20 website slots :slight_smile:

I imagine that it exists already, with the right settings. Is there a specification available for what constitutes a 000webhost-compatible cache plugin, or can one be written? What must such a thing do or not do, exactly?

Most of cache plugins which play alot with .htaccess are not supported.

OK, that’s a start. .htaccess files are used to set Apache directives on a per-folder basis.

What things in htaccess are allowed and disallowed? Will the disallowed things technically work but earn the user a telling-off, or will they not work because they will cause a fatal error? I would imagine things like mod_rewrite directives will be fine, since they are a bread-and-butter usage of .htaccess files.

Could we perhaps get a Hostinger developer to pop in here and make a list, or explain what the judgement call is between this or that directive?

I’ve added a task for the devops, however they have more important priorities now.