FTP Connection Fails and Certificate Warning

Hi. Recently I’ve been having a number of problems trying to FTP my files to the server. In addition, every attempt to connect brings up a notice part way through saying the site’s certificate expired in 2014 and names the issuer as Zeta Hosting Solutions. The site has only existed for a year. I click OK and then the connection fails. FileZilla shows the following series of events

|Status:|Connecting to 185.176.43.76:21…|
|Status:|Connection established, waiting for welcome message…|
|Status:|Initializing TLS…|
|Status:|Verifying certificate…|
|Status:|TLS connection established.|
|Status:|Logged in|
|Status:|Retrieving directory listing…|
|Command:|PWD|
|Response:|257 “/” is the current directory|
|Command:|TYPE I|
|Response:|200 Type set to I|
|Command:|PASV|
|Response:|227 Entering Passive Mode (185,176,43,76,192,49).|
|Command:|LIST|
|Response:|150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for file list|
|Error:|Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity|
|Error:|Failed to retrieve directory listing|
|Status:|Disconnected from server|

This persists for maybe a couple of days then goes away for a day then back again. I still get the certificate warning even when I successfully connect. The warning has only appeared in the last week. If I login to my hosting account and try to use the file manager is shows me a whole load of WP files and none of mine, but I don’t use WP at all. The site is still available. Can anyone explain what’s happening please? It makes site admin almost impossible.
Thanks

That isn’t an IP related to 000webhost.

The hostname is files.000webhost.com

Yes it is. When connecting to files… it then checks the IP of the actual website, in this case earlston.net. I connect to it regularly. Sometimes it works, in fact most of the time but then all of a sudden fails as described in my post. Try pinging it and that’s the IP you’ll get. And I can assure you 000webhost is hosting it.

Nope the listed IP above isn’t part of 000webhost.

Most of 000webhost start with 145 or they are IPV6 as you see below

earlston.net isn’t hosted at 000webhost.com

id 34893
opcode QUERY
rcode NOERROR
flags QR RD RA
;QUESTION
earlston.net. IN NS
;ANSWER
earlston.net. 3599 IN NS ns2.your-hosting.net.
earlston.net. 3599 IN NS ns1.your-hosting.net.
;AUTHORITY
;ADDITIONAL

Think you can take a timeout and research where your site is hosted before hurling abuse.

id 33160
opcode QUERY
rcode NOERROR
flags QR RD RA
;QUESTION
earlston.net. IN A
;ANSWER
earlston.net. 3599 IN A 185.176.43.76
;AUTHORITY
;ADDITIONAL

No results found for earlston.net in 000webhost administration system…

gig4bit.org hosted at 000webhost under 000webhostapp name

earlston.000webhostapp.com

earlston.info hosted at 000webhost under 000webhostapp name
disheveled-ground.000webhostapp.com

magsearlston.000webhostapp.com with no connected parked domains.

If ANY user has a site hosted at 000webhost the hostname for FTP is ALWAYS files.000webhost.com

The username is that of your 000webhostapp name like beta would be the login FTP of beta.000webhostapp.com even if it had a parked domain beta.net for example

FTP password can be changed via general settings under website password on 000webhost.com

000webhost does not offer any other FTP hostnames, nor do we advise any sort of workaround to use any other hostnames including your own domain with A records etc due to the way the cloud infrastructure works the IP can change regularly for the hostname of files.000webhost.com

OK, you were right. Apologies. Humble pie time. I checked at my domain registrar and confirm your nameserver statement. In mitigation your honour, I offer the fact that I checked the nameserver data at https://www.whois.com which said, and still does say - check it out - that the nameservers are ns01 & ns02 at 000webhost dot com. Weird or wot? Anyway, I’m of to complain to the other lot. Apologies again and I’ll try not to get led astray again.

1 Like