Forums are a popular choice for new users, especially users who are trying to create a support area or an information board. At 000webhost, we use Discourse, which is by far the best forum software for advanced users. Unfortunately, it and many other modern forum softwares cannot be installed on free or even paid hosting, as they require VPS.
However, one rising software is Vanilla, which is an open-source PHP forum that looks better than most other softwares and is easy to install. This tutorial will show you how to install Vanilla forums on 000webhost free hosting websites.
How to install Vanilla on free hosting
1) Start by downloading the latest version of Vanilla by clicking here.
2) Open your website's File Manager.
3) Upload the zipped file you just downloaded.
4) Extract the zipped file that you just uploaded.
5) Open the folder you just extracted.
6) Select all of the files and right click on one of them, then click move. Then click the blue change button and select the public_html button, then select this. Then click move again.
7) Now open
yourwebsite.000webhostapp.com. You'll see this screen.
8) Go back to your website panel, it's time to create the database. Click on the New Database button.
9) Fill out the boxes like so, then click Create.
Wait for the database to be created.
10) Copy the name of the database that you see, it will be slightly different from above. Then go back to the installation page. Fill out the boxes as below. The password needs to be the same as the one you just set for the database you created.
The second set of boxes can be filled out as you please.
11) Click the Continue button.
Success! You've installed Vanilla forums! Now you can login and customize your forum.