How to recover website

My website got replaced by a new install of wordpress. Can I use the code from my original website to recover it?

Thanks

We didn’t see what you edited in your other topic. If you still have the files for your old site, you can just delete all the files and folders for Wordpress in the File Manager, and then upload what you have.

The other topic was closed by @Infinity and would prevent anyone from replying to the updated topic so I created a new one.

I only have the code, is that what you mean or do I need additional files? Like index.php etc? I managed to copy the code using the view source in my browser

Actually I didn’t close that topic, @Infinity did. If you only have the code, you will need to get a code editor and make the files over again. Maybe @NGiNX or @Infinity can help you with this, I don’t know much about coding.

Was your old website a Wordpress one?

Yes it was a wordpress one.

Then it’s impossible to recover the WP engine. The same goes for admin panel. :pensive:

Not to mention that some included scripts/stylesheets were not appended to the documents, but rather included from outside locations, and I highly doubt you managed to grab all the source codes from view-source in your browser. :confused:

We can at most try to rebuild the webpages. This would require a lot of hard work, however because some script/stylesheets may be missing, it would be pointless, as the webpages will not look/function the way they supposed to.

My opinion is that this is a lost cause. :sweat:

1 Like

:sob: So I have to redo it. PHEK. Thanks guys

I am sorry, but that is my thought. :sweat:

If anyone else has a better idea, please do post it here.

If you had say

public_html
index.html
mysite1.html
pages.html
files.php
loadsofstuff.php
/images
/css
/js

for example

and then ran the WordPress installer it probably installs over/around existing files so if you go looking in public_html if you had a basic site/ template/ whatever before hand the remains will probably be there but obviously if you had index.php before WordPress will have overwritten this and the same for any other files named the same as WP scripts.

So no hope of recovery then :frowning: