If you’re hosting web applications or doing maintenance on your website, it’s a good idea to let your users know when this is happening. At the very least, you can give them a way to check your website’s uptime. This tutorial will show you how to setup a free status page for your website using a custom domain.
Please keep in mind that this will require that you first setup your custom domain using Cloudflare, as this requires setting a CNAME record (and, that tutorial helps you achieve HTTPS status for your custom domain).
This will only work on a custom domain, so if you need a free one, try https://freenom.com.
- Navigate to your Cloudflare dashboard for your custom domain, and go to the DNS tab so we can edit the DNS Zone.
- Go to https://uptimerobot.com and sign up.
- Fill out the form and click the sign up button.
- Verify your email by checking your inbox for the verification email and clicking the link.
- Once the email is verified, login. You will be redirected to the dashboard.
- Create a new monitor.
- Make sure to select
HTTP(S) as the monitor type, and input a name for the monitor (your domain works fine) and the domain that you want to monitor (e.x.
https://test-cloudflare.ga). Leave the monitoring interval at 5 minutes, this won’t cost you anything.
NOTE: You can choose an alert contact, but this may result in a lot of emails.
- Click create monitor. If you didn’t choose an alert email, you will have to click it twice.
- Now we create the status page. At the top, navigate to my settings.
- Now scroll down and find Public Status Pages. Click add public status page.
- Make sure the Status Page Type is set for selected monitors. Fill out the info, and in the Custom Domain box, enter
status.yourdomain.com (use your own domain that is in Cloudflare).
Make sure to select your monitor in the Monitors dropdown. You can also choose a logo (optional).
- Click Create Public Status Page.
- Now we add the CNAME record. Navigate back to the DNS Zone at Cloudflare from step 1. Make sure the record is CNAME and the cloud is OFF. Then just copy the record shown in the screenshot below and click Add Record.
Success! You’ve just added a free status page to your site! You should be able to access the page using your custom subdomain (