Make $i++ loop work

I have 4 groups of people: category 1 to 4 (each is in a different one: none can have 2 categories)
I can write a regular MySql-query to show all results: than order them by name or category.

But I want to separate each category with just a title/category and some white space in between.
So I think I need a for- or while-loop?!

This is basically what I tried, cuz I have something similar working - my header and footer loads but the actual content stays empty:

<?php
$i = 1;
while($i > 5){
    $results = mysqli_query($connect, "SELECT * FROM list WHERE category = $i AND online = 1 ORDER BY name ASC");
    while ($data = mysqli_fetch_array($results))
    {
        echo 'all kind of data-stuff that works';
    }
}
$i++;
?>

What I want:

Category 1

• result 1
  • result 2

Category 2

• result 1
  • result 2
  • result 3

Etc.

Good day!

That is one way to do it, however not very optimal. Good practice would be to retrieve all records in a single request to the SQL database:

$results = mysqli_query($connect, 
                        "SELECT * 
                        FROM list 
                        WHERE list.online = '1' 
                        ORDER BY name ASC;");

print_r(mysqli_fetch_all($results));

Thx for the reply!

But with this I get all the results at once, and I want to work with some kind of subtitle per category.
So with this I would need a way to echo a subtitle and some white space after i ordered all online-results by category. I don’t know if that’s possible.
That’s why i thought about working with a loop to perform 4 different requests (it would fetch about 50 results in total - in a table with about 250 rows) - with the name of the category echoing right in front of the results. But what i posted didn’t work: it leaves 0 results…

It’s better in terms of performance to fetch everything at once and then work with the whole array/object.

If it’s lagging select only some results: SELECT id, username, category, etc FROM ...

It’s up to you.

And if I fetch everything at once, than how do I echo a subtitle and line break between every category? Anyone?!

I’m not sure if I get your question correctly. But, as far as I understood this is my answer. Also, we are sorry for the late reply.

$results = mysqli_query($connect, "SELECT * FROM list WHERE category IN (1,2,3,4) AND online = 1 ORDER BY name ASC");
while ($row = mysqli_fetch_assoc($results)) {
     echo $row['name'] . ' ' . $row['category'];
}

I have 4 categories (column ‘category’, values 1 to 4). I want to fetch all the results with ‘1’ in column ‘online’, but i want to echo the results ordered by category, but also: in between those results, i want to echo a name for the category (1 time, not with every result separately) and some white space.
[Like 4 subtitles of 4 alineas, where the alineas are the fetched results in that specific subtitle/category.]
Any suggestions?!

No one?! It’s probably something straight forward…?

stackoverflow.com?

The 000webhost is generally for issues relating to the hosting or accounts.

My account is on here… But whatever.

Hello BegEnd,

We are sorry for late reply. But, I think stackoverflow is the best place for such questions. They have a great community.

Thanks