Recover wordpress from backup (cpanel)

Hey guys, can you help me with something?
I was using Hostgator and before my membership ended, I made a cpanel backup from my wordpress.
Now I’m trying to recover this wordpress, tryed to importe the public_html from the homedir, but I cant make my wordpress work.

Can you guys tell me what I’m doing wrong? I have a message saying “database error” or something. I really just want to get my posts and migrate them to my new wordpress.

You need to import the database, this is seperate from public_html and would need to be downloaded from HostGator database wizard

1 Like

There is a folder called mysql on the backup.
How can I import the database?

Head to 000webhost.com > Manage Database > Manage > phpmyadmin
Once opened hit on the left hand side pane your database name i.e. id12345_blah and then hit import.
Select the .sql file or the .sql.zip file and import.

1 Like

There say that the file has to be 16MB, but my database has ~43MB.
What can I do?

Ouch hmm you could archive it, i.e. zip it up with windows or 7zip or WinRAR etc.

1 Like

Can you tell me another thing?
There is a way to “emulate” the wordpress from my PC, to use a plugin to export my posts and pages?
I think I can’t restore using the free host.
There is a way that I can do like a localhost or something?

Not really on the free plan, Hostinger would offer RemoteMYSQL which would offer seamless import but you are quite limited on the free plan :confused:

1 Like

If you have the public_html folder from last host, zip it up using best compression, upload via FTP like FileZilla, then extract using File Manager on 000webhost.com

Then the same for the database, zip it up best compression, upload in the web phpmyadmin and it hopefully will import.
If it doesn’t import then upload the database into File Manager zipped and link your site and I’ll have a look.

1 Like

Well, 1st I’m gonna try using XAMPP to emulate localy my old wordpress. I think I can recover my posts from tgis way and them try to paste on my new one.

If this dont work, I’m gonna try what you told me.

Thank you for your suport.

1 Like

No worries.

If you open the .sql file locally on computer and copy and paste all the code into the SQL tab of phpmyadmin and click go, it will either import that way or timeout.

Else there is

https://www.ozerov.de/bigdump/

1 Like