Regarding Recent Outages

Hello everyone. I’m sure a lot of you have noticed that a number of your website’s services have been working (or not working) at random intervals as of recently. The following services may have been affected:

• FTP
  • File Manager
  • Custom Domains
  • Databases
  • Sendmail

This is due to an ongoing outage of nearly all of our free plan services. However, this is an issue which is not caused by our servers or equipment, but rather by a datacenter issue.

The simple explanation is that one of our datacenter was the target of a major DDoS attack. While we are unsure as to whether or not this attack was directed at our services, it was causing network failures on multiple levels (including 000webhost’s servers). As a result, the datacenter chose to null rout our core IP addresses in order to preserve the integrity of both our servers and the other servers which run out of said datacenter.

Because of this, our services have been unable to function at full capacity. The best way to put it is that each server is essentially trying to make up for the lack of service on another server, which is causing further disruption — or at least that’s what I understand, given that certain servers have been going up and down at random. This means that any server is subject to failure at any given time.

So what does this mean for you, the customer? Well, I can start by promising you that your data is safe. Our servers are designed to fail when data corruption is immanent, so even while the services are down your data remains in place. However, this issue is extremely complex, and until a permanent fix is put into place, the possibility remains that you may experience service disruption. It’s not a matter of fixing it on our end, but rather a cooperation between us and the datacenter.

In short, we are aware of the recent service disruptions, and our developers and admins are working diligently to resolve the issue. We will be suspending our policy of warning or silencing users who post duplicate topics until the issues are resolved, however we do ask that you please refrain from creating topics about these issues.

Thank you,
Owen Sullivan & the 000webhost team.

File Manager & FTP may not be working for some users
Please wait Connecting to server 7 6 5 error

Thanks for the information!

We should keep in mind that this is a ‘free’ service. That said ‘free’ always comes with a price, be it selling your data to google or facebook or having to endure with a group / individuals who [might] target 000webhost.

We should also keep in mind that we could setup our own PC / ISS (yuck) / Apache and just live with it being on 24/7 - exposing our own home IP / geolocation - and being even more vulnerable to said group / individuals. So we should all thank 000webhost for taking the heat for us. Thanks.

On other note - me too - I had a feeling that this was happening. Curious why aren’t the flood protection systems like cloudflare installed for free services?

‘Playful cleverness’ …? Rule #1: Never attack [private] learning platforms. Be a hero and take on the big fish, like Mark Z. or Sundar P…

If you want to accomplish something in the world, idealism is not enough - you need to choose a method that works to achieve the goal. -Richard Stallman

Thank you guys for all the information.

by percentage how many users are affected by this, plus I feel like 00webhost is dying because of these outage, why can’t you just increase the security x100 more, so these things don’t happen.

We don’t have a percentage value of the users that may be affected. As I stated, the possibility that any user may be affected remains.

As I stated, we have no control over the issue. It’s not our platform that’s failing, it’s the datacenter being DDoSed on a massive scale.

To preserve the informative intent of this post, this topic will be locked to prevent further discussion.