Set file permissions

in the new cpanel im trying to install wordpress and i need to know how to set the file permissions. the old c panel was easy it was at the top in the file manager. this is for a whole new domain and i need to know how to set them in the new cpanel.

does any one know when the whole new cpanel will be in place either?

Linuxfox00, do you mean chmod files?

im sure you mean chmod, so i havent seen if in the control panel is the posibliti, but if you accces you site via FTP, right click over file/folder and “properties” and look for chmod, put it 707 or 777, or whaatever wordpress says, if you dont have FTP Client ill recomend you fille zilla http://filezella-proyect.org (or seach google File Zilla) IT FAST EASY AND FREE

Changing File Permissions: (CHMOD)
Changing file permissions can be done two ways. One way is using an FTP Client. Another way is using a web-based file manager.

FTP Client:
Using an FTP client, log onto your server.
To do this you will need:
*Host Name (usually your domain name with ‘ftp’ in place of ‘www’. Example: the FTP for ‘domain.com’ would be: ‘ftp.domain.com’)
*User Name (usually your account user name/id)
*User Password (usually the same as your account password)

Once you have connected using the FTP client, you will enter what is called the siteroot. This can be an out shell to all the domains on the server, if you have more than one, or it can be the public_html folder.*

*some servers do not provide a public_html folder.

Find the files or directories you want to change file permissions on. Depending on your FTP client, there will be different comands to open the permissions dialog. (Usually you can simply ‘right click’ as if in a windows file system enviroment). On the appearing submenu, select an option that would equal ‘properites’ or ‘permissions’.

A dialog will pop up asking you to define the permissions of the file or directory. If you need to make a file/directory writable, then you would set it to:

Read/Write/Execute - All (Owner, group, public)

Save the changes to the file by clicking ‘apply’ or ‘okay’.

Methods are similar using a browser based file manager.

thank you it ftp worked like a charm.

FileZilla–

while setting the folder “Theme” to 777
Response: 550 Could not change perms on Themes: Operation not permitted

how can i fix this? please help… tnx!

ar-r, try running file permissions fixing tool available in your control panel

Hi.
Can some one please help me with file permissions for Joomla? How do I set the Global in Admin? I just get configuration.php is : Unwriteable .
I have read some of the help, tried setting from Dreamweaver. It was set right from start. Sure I can download the file change settings one at a time but what is the switch in the code?
$mosConfig_useractivation = ‘0’; or ?

Thanks
Grant

well i don’t understad you, the only that i understand is configuration.php is : Unwriteable,

chmod to 777 the file configuration.php and that’s it :stuck_out_tongue:

OK
Call me stupid but
were do I set chmod to 777 ? in the file configuration.php you say?
how, do I add a line or what.

I cant see in it in configuration.php

$mosConfig_live_site = ‘http://build-free.co.cc’; (I changed these by going into the file)
$mosConfig_sitename = ‘Build Free - XanDreams’;
$mosConfig_shownoauth = ‘0’;
$mosConfig_useractivation = ‘1’;

Grant

nope, that is from your ftp client, like filezilla

right click in the file, then in file atributes, and in the field type 777, or check all the boxes :p, and that’s all

Ok its writable now. I right clicked the configuration.php file from Dreamweaver flp and set permissions to 777
Thanks for nothing,
Grant

Right thanks thats what I did