What is the third method of using a personal domain on a free website

The Tutorial says “000webhost provides 3 ways to change website address” but then goes on to describe only two: Using 000webhost nameservers and using a CNAME redirection. What is the third?

I would like to use the A record on my domain but that requires me to enter the IP address of my free site. Is that possible?

Hi @DavidT!

That tutorial is outdated and it will be replaced shortly.

You can only link a domain to your website by (1) Domain parking and then linking, or (2) Domain linking using CNAME records.

Using method one will allow 000webhost manage DNS settings for your domain. You will also make use of our E-mail Forwarder.

Using method two will leave your registrar to handle DNS settings. Your domain will only be linked to your website.

I would like to use the A record on my domain but that requires me to enter the IP address of my free site. Is that possible?

000webhost does not allow direct-IP connections, therefore you can’t use that method. Please use either Domain parking or Domain pointing.

Thanks.

You say that if I park my domain by changing the nameservers, I will then be able to “make use of your email forwarder”. How many addresses can be forwarded on a free account?

Is it possible to set up any mailboxes on a free account? If not, is there any way of using an Outgoing SMTP server for mail on my domain? (I ask these things as spf is becoming increasingly important with email and you can only set this up if you have access to an SMTP server linked to your domain.)

How many addresses can be forwarded on a free account?

You can set up 5 e-mail forwarders.

Is it possible to set up any mailboxes on a free account?

No. We removed them because of abuse.

is there any way of using an Outgoing SMTP server for mail on my domain?

• Pure SMTP configuration is unavailable on free plans.

• For incoming e-mails, you can use another service such as Zoho or Google to handle e-mails using MX records.

• You can send e-mails from 000webhost infrastructure using forms based in PHP.

Thanks.

I know Zoho. Just to confirm what you are saying, if I change my nameservers to 000webhost and park my domain with you, would I then have the ability to set the MX record from within my 000webhost Control Panel to point to Zoho so they handled my mail?

Sorry Teodor - you have already answered my last question on a different thread! You said:

Yes, you can set MX records if you park your domain to 000webhost:
000webhost cPanel > Set web address > locate your domain > Manage > Set MX record

Yes, you will be able to :wink: