Contact Form problems - not working

Hi All,
I am using the free 000webhost builder for a free simple site. Used the contact form from one of the free sample webs. I am using an email alias on a domain I own and have it forwarded to my main email address, in the same domain. I am not using that domain for hosting the site. I have tested the forwarding at my domain and it works fine.

When I test the form it doesn’t error and says “form sent” but I don’t receive the acknowledgement nor do I receive the form content. Not in spam. Sendmail toggle is on in the settings.

I have been reading a lot of comments over a 7 year period about needing to use PHP, about SMTP not offered on free sites, etc. Rather confused now. The basic settings within the contact form seem correct, checked them several times.

Does SMTP indeed work with free accounts? Do I need to populate the SMTP settings since I am using my domain email?

Any help greatly appreciated!

LOL! I filled out the SMTP info in the form to match my domain email and it worked! Just following up so maybe someone can use this info. Just match the SMTP server info which your email provider uses.
DD