Google Page Speed Analysis - Help Me Understand?

Hey, all! i’m told that my page is suffering from slow page load speeds, per this link:

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.space-jewelry.com

And that this is negatively impacting SEO (amongst other things). Problem is, even with the helpful suggestions that Google provides, it’s a bit over my head.

I was able to make some changes, removing the twitter feed from my footer, for example. That improved the numerical score on the mobile version a little bit and improved the desktop version quite a bit, but Google still doesn’t seem to be happy with the load speed, and the remaining suggestions I don’t fully understand.

Could anyone who’s familiar with this take a look and give me the Kindergarten level explanation of what I need to change?

THANK YOU!!

Anyone familiar with the issue, do you think that breaking up my large header image would be helpful?

Well for one thing, Google’s PageSpeed Analysis does not directly reflect the SEO rating, it just plays a small part. You also need to remember that this is free, shared hosting, with millions of users, so speed is not the #1 concern. That’s why we advertise faster speeds on the premium plans.

Minimizing CSS may help the speed rating, but this is a complicated process. Cloudflare has an option to do that over their CDN, and I have a tutorial on how to setup with them, but that may or may not help. The speed mainly depends on the speed of the server, which is limited on free hosting.

Gotcha!! If the answer is that I need to pay for faster speeds, I’m perfectly OK with that.

I TOTALLY understand that this is a free service, and by no means do I expect premium speeds out of something free. I think that my plan is to get the site up and looking/functioning the way I want it do, and then to upgrade. I just didn’t know if that would actually address the issue or if there was something that I was doing poorly while building the page.

As far as SEO goes, I know this is just a small part, but I’m trying to hit each part as hard as I can to actually gain some traction with the site. I’ve been running my business for years through Etsy and I’ve always had a website, but it’s never gotten any traction, and I feel like it’s past time to give the website a little bit of love :slight_smile:

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help!

1 Like