Re-using my old domain name?

I have finally completed my migration from the old servers to the new ones. I am obviously very late in doing so and that’s because I originally set up my account on the old servers using an email address that I don’t check that often. As a result I was blind-sided when my site suddenly stopped working on the old servers.

I’ve prevented that problem in future by using a new account that made use of my main email address; now I’ll know about major changes immediately, not weeks after the fact.

I would like to use my old URL to access the new site but, unfortunately, it seems to be tied to the old servers. Will I be able to get my old URL, http://sfl.comyr.com, to point to the website on the new servers (rhinosfl.000webhostapp.com) if I simply delete my old account? Or is that URL no longer going to be an option for me?

I don’t want to shoot myself in the foot here so I want to be clear that deleting the old account isn’t going to hurt me in some way, especially if it precludes me from being able to use it for the new version of my site.

If you don’t have any sites that you are using in the old account, delete it. Then, try adding the old domain in your new account. If that doesn’t work, I will submit your domain to be unlock, so you can use it again :slight_smile:

Thank you very much, hexa! Before I do what you’ve suggested, I have one other related question.

On the old servers, I believe I had to choose a name like sfl.comyr.com to access my website; there was no other way to access it so that’s what I did. The domain name that we own was then pointed to sfl.comyr.com via a service called ZoneEdit. Then, our users typed in our domain name and it took them to sfl.comyr.com via the magic of DNS.

On the new servers, it seems that websites have a name like rhinosfl.000webhostapp.com and that I can also assign it a name like sfl.web44.net and then BOTH names rhinosfl.000webhostapp.com AND sfl.web44.net can access it. Is that correct? That’s certainly the behaviour I am seeing.

I’m trying to figure out if there’s any point or benefit to having the sfl.web44.net name. It seems to me that I should just repoint my own domain name directly to rhinosfl.000webhostapp.com and not bother with sfl.web44.net at all. Or am I missing a benefit to having sfl.web44.net?

I would suggest pointing to the .000webhostapp.com URL as those URL’s will always be available. If you connect a domain, your website will be available at the .000webhostapp.com URL and the pointed one. I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

If there’s no benefit to having that intermediate name - sfl.comyr.com or sfl.web44.net - then I’ll just re-point directly to the xyz.000webhostapp.com URL and be done with it.

Now, one last question: Is it possible for me to rename rhinosfl.000webhostapp.com to sfl-main.000webhostapp.com? I never had any intention of having the first part of my website name start with rhinosfl but let the panel use that name initially because I thought I could change it later. Unfortunately, the only way I can see to change it is to use the same alternate name business sfl.xxx.com. If you could rename rhinosfl.000webhostapp.com to sfl-main.000webhostapp.com for me (or tell me how to do it), that would be REALLY helpful.

Sorry, but it’s not possible to rename the 000webhostapp.com URL. You would need to delete the website and create a new one with your preferred website name. :frowning:

Well, that blows! But I was prepared to do it if necessary so I will do it that way then. After that, I’ll re-point my own domain name to the new sfl-main.000webhostapp.com.

Thanks for your assistance in this matter.

Glad I could help! :slight_smile: