Website works with www but not without it

I just connected my own domain which is registered with GoDaddy by pointing it (not by parking).
I can see my webpage when I go to www.mydomain.com, but not at mydomain.com.
How can I make the home page load with mydomain.com?

Make sure you have 2 CNAME records

1. CNAME @ yourwebsite.000webhostapp.com
  2. CNAME www yourwebsite.000webhostapp.com

That should do the trick :slight_smile:

I tried to add another CNAME with Host=@ but I get an error message that “The specified record already exists”.

My domain is registered with GoDaddy and it came with a default record Which is Type=A, Name=@, Host=some IP address, TTL=600 seconds.

What is type=“A” record?
Where is it pointing?
Can I delete the existing type=“A” record and replace it with a new type=CNAME record of yourwebsite.000webhostapp.com?

I tried to go to that IP but I get “Server Error, 404 - File or directory not found.”

Thank you

@Ron123 Delete “A” records as you don’t need it and then try to add “@”

1 Like

Hi @Ron123!

What is type=“A” record?

A record stands for Address. It means that when our browsers are accessing your domain, the DNS will return the IP address you have set up in order to access the server on which the web content is located. A record is not supported by 000webhost. You should delete all A records.

Where is it pointing?

To point your domain follow what @ckhawand say. There should be an option to add CNAME records in your DNS panel, at your registrar.

Can I delete the existing type=“A” record and replace it with a new type=CNAME record of yourwebsite.000webhostapp.com?

Yes, please do so.

I tried to go to that IP but I get “Server Error, 404 - File or directory not found.”

Because 000webhost does not support direct website IP for A records.