Can't upload or extract WordPress - new verson is above 5MB

Hi,
I’m new here at 000WebHosting, and I hope you are as good as people say :slight_smile:

So, I understand I can’t upload files bigger than 5MB through the CPanel UI, only through FTP. I’m intending to install WordPress to run, for starters, a test site, but the latest version (3.8.1) is 5.6MB large (the .tar.gz compressed file). I uploaded via FTP, and, logging in here, I can see the uploaded file in the file manager. But there is no extract button? I see the message about large files not being able to be edited, searched, zipped, unzipped and so on, but how do we end up now? If only I installed a few months ago when the compressed file was 4.8MB!

Ah, about uploading manually file-by-file via FTP: this is a very time consuming process, and I’ll see a lot of error messages in a quick glance at the FileZilla log frame. It’s like the connection is lost then regained over and over, so I reduced the maximum ammount of transfers from 10 to 4. Still, I got a lot of failed transfers, and when processing them again, the time spent is still long. Then I tried installing WordPress, but I got one error message after another, all related to missing files.

So uploading the .tar.gz is more comfortable and more guaranteed that 100% of the files will be there. How to extract the 5.6MB.tar.gz file, then?

Thanks!:slight_smile:

Ah, about uploading manually file-by-file via FTP

You don’t. Highlight them all and upload in one go; takes about 3 minutes - http://s20.postimg.org/x6btobnr1/upload.png

Err, I watched it when I first tried to do the manual file-by-file upload, and it took over 20 minutes… I know it’s about my location but still, there could be some exceptions regarding the 5MB max file size… especially because of WordPress!

Thanks though, I’ll give another try.

Edit: now I see you didn’t get the point, that’s my fault: I tried the select-all-then-upload, but FileZilla actually does the uploading file by file, that’s what I meant to say, the process will still take around 20 minutes :frowning:

Try filezilla’s FTP Keep Alive setting. Edit-> Settings-> FTP-> FTP Keep Alive - tick the box.

Thanks for the tip, but I had already did the hard way: selecting all, uploading, noting the failed transfers, reprocessing the queue. Took ~30mins, but ok. Next step is testing the WordPress platform here :slight_smile:

Allow me a follow-up bump: is it helpful to do like I did to set the maximum number of connections to 4 in FileZilla? That’s because the server appears to have a five-task limit. Transfering WordPress means uploading ~1160 though. Thanks!

I use default, which is 2 for filezilla, apart from keep alive I leave everything set to default. It should just queue the rest and come to them on it’s own.

Thanks Shock. I’ll change my settings. :slight_smile:

Just have a look at my quote from a different post:

Noted for future use! :wink: