Change domain name to www.xyz.webatu.com from just xyz.webatu.com

None of this is earth-shattering, governments won’t fall - but a tiny game server I provide in the 3D ‘world’ Second Life no longer works after the move.

Before the move, I had the domain www.nortonburns.webatu.com
After the move, even after trying to change the name/add an alias in the settings area, the best I can get is nortonburns.webatu.com - without the www.

I cannot change the existing inworld structures to redirect to the new name - best I can do is re-write my inworld script, update all my inworld objects, then attempt to precipitate the new ones through thousands of users, not all of whom are my customers, but customers of my customers.
A tangle I don’t think is reconcilable.

So, my first issue is simply - can I add www. to the domain name?
If so, how?

btw, the structure is non-profit these days, providing mainly legacy support, so I’m ideally looking for a free solution.

WWW is not available on free subdomains.

Great. I may as well close it all down then. My next question was going to be why doesn’t my php work after the migration… but that seems a bit redundant now.

My next question was going to be why doesn’t my php work after the migration…

Please change your PHP version to a lower one: cPanel > Settings > General > Change PHP version > 5.6

OK… two further questions - not sure this is the correct way to handle the subject, all in a single topic like this but here now… [please let me know if I really ought to split this up or even take it to ‘customer services for people who can barely string together a bit of php’ :wink:

1. If I can’t for free add www. to the name to make it match what it used to be, is there a simple & cheap option to do it within the 000webhost structure, without me requiring advanced skills?

2. Thanks @NGiNX , I rolled it back to PHP 5.6 but still getting the same error which is a 400 bad request "The number of request header fields exceeds this server’s limit."
    i’ve been fiddling with the code a bit but can’t get anything other than that response, even if I revert it to the original, working version just with the new address.
    The old www. address returns a 504 so at least I know I’m asking the new location.

You can point or park your own domain, but I’m guessing you’re asking since you have already given out the current address to a number of people. However, if you do want a domain, you can get one for free using the tutorial below.

Unfortunately I have thousands of legacy users who are using scripted objects in this virtual world, for which there is no reliable update mechanism, so the URL they are pointed to cannot be reliably changed in their devices. [This is a limitation in the scripting/object updating mechanism of the virtual world]

I was completely unaware when I did the migration that I wouldn’t be able to simply keep the same website address as I already had. It was fait accompli by the time I realised.
I managed to get as far as to recreate nortonburns.webatu.com as an alias, but the objects can’t find it without the www. in front.

I had a look at Freenom, but it just claims www.nortonburns.webatu.com is an invalid domain [expectedly]

Oh no, no, you can get a custom domain from there, like nortonburns.ga. I’m so sorry that this has affected you and your users. All I can suggest is to have them change the address if that’s at all possible :pensive:

It’s not possible, unfortunately.
The items to the end users are no-mod; in more familiar terms once they receive them they trigger an ownership change flag & become in effect --x–x--x which makes them immutable. No-one has read or write perms any more on that copy, not even the original creator.

They cannot even change owner again, so can’t be sent back for a refund/swap/update.

Think of it like buying a Barbie & realising you wanted a Ken… & the shop will not [cannot] take it back & swap it once you’ve opened it.

I see… that’s extremely unfortunate. I can forward this to an admin to see if there is any way possible that you can get www working again, given your situation, but it may not be possible. I’ll let you know whenever I get anything back, which may take a while.

That is most kind of you.

I’ll wait to see what may be possible.

Many thanks & all the best.

1 Like

“The number of request header fields exceeds this server’s limit.”

This means your PHP script is using more resources than the free plan allows. You should consider buying a paid plan to fix that out. This will solve the www problem as well :wink:

@NGiNX admittedly I’m really not sure what I’m doing on this, I originally patched it together with some hefty Googling & pre-made ‘starter’ bits, but I’ve currently got the request down to just [0,"POST",1,"application/x-www-form-urlencoded"],"test" & I’m still getting the error.
All was fine before the move, even with my entire php/sql query in place of test

All was fine before the move, even with my entire php/sql query in place of test

Some features available on the old cPanel have been removed from the new one, in order to improve the security, reliability and speed. Sorry :sweat:

[quote] giedrius

he have to use his own or purchased domain or upgrade, 000 do not allow second level subdomain because of scam risk.

[/quote]

I’m so sorry :pensive: