How do i set the ip for mx records

hi I have a dot.tk domain wehich is hosted here but I have my own mail server software what is the ip address for my mx records? ive checked and theres no ip assigned to my mx records I know how to create the records but don’t know the correct ip if I put in my own external ip at dot tk dns management console it says incorrect value ive also seen that you should create subdomains mail.alltechuk.tk and mail2.alltechuk.tk do I do that here? create the sub domains for this cos I cant at .tk also it don’t let me change the hostname at.tk its greyed out as ALLTECHUK.TK can any one give me step by step help well maybe not the stumbling block is what the correct ip address is to put in mx records at .tk cos any ive tried doesn’t work

Who is the email provider? They should have the IP

You cannot use an IP address in an MX record, it has to be a fully qualified domain name (FQDN).

You should create an ‘A’ record pointing to your home IP, eg:

[FONT=“Courier New”]myhouse.alltechuk.tk. 3600 IN A 11.22.33.44[/FONT]

You may then use the domain name from that ‘A’ record as the data value in your ‘MX’ record, eg:

[FONT=“Courier New”]alltechuk.tk. 3600 IN MX 10 myhouse.alltechuk.tk.[/FONT]

If you only have a single mailserver, creating multiple MX records pointing to the same place is futile.

[COLOR=“White”]_[/COLOR]

i dont see any of the options you mention there where would i make these changes ive got 4 a records:
A RECORD: alltechuk.tk pointing to 31.170.160.103(000webhost)
A RECORD:www.alltechuk.tk pointing to 31.170.160.103(000webhost)
A RECORD:mail.alltechuk.tk pointing to 2.125.251.126(my ip)
A RECORD:mail1.alltechuk.tk pointing to 2.125.251.126(my ip)

all these values are on .tk dns page

when i select mx record from the drop down list the hostname is greyed out to ALLTECHUK.TK and cant be changed then theres a field that says ip address ive tried putting both those ips in but get an error message saying

INVALID HOST INVALID CONTENT(in the ip address field )

I am totally stumped does it matter that the mail server is on my home pc and the webserver not? ive clicked the mx records button at 000webhost and put in the box there alltechuk.tk is this correct?

thank you for your help in advance

You have successfully created an ‘A’ record for mail.alltechuk.tk

On the dot.tk control panel…

[LIST=1]
[]Click ‘Add new’
[
]Change the record type to ‘MX Record’
[]Enter the data value: mail.alltechuk.tk
[
]Click ‘Save Changes’
[/LIST]

It works. Honest guv, it does.

Be warned that (to the best of my knowledge) SKY Broadband issue dynamic IP addresses.

[COLOR=“White”]_[/COLOR]

ok have done that and they are now set up what I don’t understand now is my mail server is on my home pc but my website is at 000webhost so when the mail software needs a hostname that would be alltechuk.tk right? and the ip address do I enter my ip or the one supplied by 000webhost as when I put my ip in it just goes to the sky broadband router utility.

Your DNS setup is OK. (You can get this data with any ‘dig’ type tool.)

[FONT=“Courier New”]opcode: Query, status: NoError, id: 42
flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 8, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 2

QUESTION SECTION:
alltechuk.tk. IN ANY

ANSWER SECTION:
alltechuk.tk. 300 IN A 31.170.160.103
alltechuk.tk. 300 IN MX 0 MAIL1.alltechuk.tk.
alltechuk.tk. 300 IN MX 0 MAIL.alltechuk.tk.
alltechuk.tk. 300 IN SOA NS01.DOT.tk. SOA.DOT.tk. 1367409168 10800 3600 604800 3600
alltechuk.tk. 300 IN NS NS03.DOT.tk.
alltechuk.tk. 300 IN NS NS04.DOT.tk.
alltechuk.tk. 300 IN NS NS01.DOT.tk.
alltechuk.tk. 300 IN NS NS02.DOT.tk.

AUTHORITY SECTION:
alltechuk.tk. 300 IN NS NS04.DOT.tk.
alltechuk.tk. 300 IN NS NS01.DOT.tk.
alltechuk.tk. 300 IN NS NS02.DOT.tk.
alltechuk.tk. 300 IN NS NS03.DOT.tk.

ADDITIONAL SECTION:
MAIL.alltechuk.tk. 300 IN A 2.125.251.126
MAIL1.alltechuk.tk. 300 IN A 2.125.251.126

Query time: 140 ms
Server : 87.194.0.66:53 udp (87.194.0.66)
When : 01/05/2013 18:40:16
Size rcvd : 297
[/FONT]

I checked your mailserver using a generic mailserver checker and it tells me that a test connection to your mailserver failed.

It seems likely that you have not yet set up the appropriate port forwarding on your router.
Typically you should forward TCP and UDP protocols on port 25 to the PC running your mailserver.
How you would achieve that on your router, I couldn’t tell you.

Ironically, testing a mailserver from the local network that hosts the mailserver can be very difficult unless the router supports loopback and/or you know what you are doing.

Good luck.

[COLOR=“White”]_[/COLOR]