Not possible to host Hubzilla on 000webhost.com?

Before deciding on a paid service I want to make sure 000webhost.com support the hosting of Hubzilla (hubzilla.org). However that doesn’t seem to be the case? Go to my site url below for the initial setup problems clearly visible:

https://hub5.000webhostapp.com

As can be seen there are two explicit errors and one suggested option that doesn’t seem to be supported by 000webhost.com. You should probably quickly be able to confirm if that is the case or of there is something else that is wrong?

• Error: exec is required but is either not installed or has been disabled in php.ini
• Error: shell_exec is required but is either not installed or has been disabled in php.ini
• Could not find a command line version of PHP in the web server PATH.
If you don’t have a command line version of PHP installed on server, you will not be able to run background polling via cron.

Please let me know if you can host Hubzilla or if I have to look elsewhere. I my opinion Hubzilla is the most promising part of the Free Social Web hopefully replacing Facebook and lots of other services polluted by data-tracking and disrespect of personal integrity.

Hostinger will give access to shell_exec and exec while the free service doesn’t allow this.

How about the third part then? Will that also be possible on Hostinger:

“• Could not find a command line version of PHP in the web server PATH.
If you don’t have a command line version of PHP installed on server, you will not be able to run background polling via cron.”

Preferably I would like to see if I can get everything to work fine before starting a subsciption. Or are there anyone who can confirm that Hubzilla will work fine on Hostinger?

Having a VPS is like having our own computer. But, it’s little hard to manage than managing a website on shared hosting. You will need some knowledge on Linux too.

You have to install the components you need (such as Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc.). Also, you are allowed to install anything in your server. The only limits that you will have are CPU, RAM, Storage. It’s better to get help from Hostinger before you purchase the VPS.

I’m pretty sure, Installing LAMP server on your VPS will solve your all 3 problems.

1 Like