Update PHP

Why is 000Webhost still on PHP 5.2? It became unsupported over three years ago. Why not upgrade to PHP 5.3 or 5.4? I’d love to be able to use namespaces, closures and other recent additions on my sites, but I don’t have the capital to go to a really good paid host. If you guys moved up to a more recent version, I’m sure that your popularity would grow even bigger than it already is.

This has been asked a number of times i guess.
There are no plans to upgrade the existing servers from 5.2.17 to 5.3 or later. If you are looking for PHP 5.3 or even 5.4 then i suggest using hostinger.com

How stable is hostinger, Bad Karma?

Why not make an account and find out :wink:

Ok, I may be too forward here but I need to ask this for peace of mind.
I noticed 000webhost is stable enough from httpd side with the occasional mysqld problems.

I tried 888webhost and 2freehosting too. 888webhost and 2freehosting use the exact same IPs. They seem to be related to hostinger or some company that owns hostinger.
They started out as stable. But they are pushing for everyone and their mother and pet bird to have their website hosted at 2freehosting hoping for some free customers to upgrade to paid plans. 2freehosting websites are now only up around 96% of the time. This is pretty bad.

Hostinger seems to be using nginx and php 5.3 by default. This looks like good planning. They also offer 5.4 which uses far less system resources than previous versions.
I am however concerned that hostinger will suffer the same fate by getting too many idiots and web trolls to have their websites hosted on hostinger and then hurting people with legitimate websites such as blogs, forums, etc…

Probably people with reseller plans from hostinger.

So I can expect better uptime from hostinger directly?

I really couldn’t say, as with all free hosts they’re open to abuse.

There are no plans to upgrade the existing servers from 5.2.17 to 5.3 or later.

Any reason for this please? Budget or resource issues?

I doubt resource issues. php 5.3 and 5.4 are way less hungry on resources.
I would guess they are trying to avoid an influx of new customers.