Wandrous.net Travel Guide

Hi all!

I’ve been using 000webhost for a little while, but I’ve only just joined the forums because I’ve only just cobbled together something worth looking at.

I’ve put together a website that’s meant to be a living, breathing travel guide updated by the same people who use it, to provide recent, relevant travel tips and information. The site is still extremely pre-alpha (there’s a lot of functionality missing - such as user account management - I’m well aware), but the most important thing is to get content.

So I was wondering if people could have a quick look at it, and if you have time, could you please post a quick tip about what to do or see somewhere around the world? It can either be somewhere you’ve been on holiday, or in your own home town!

Check it out at: http://wandrous.net

Any feedback you have would be more than welcome, although as a heads up I already know about:

• Lack of account settings
  • A lot of locations missing from database (turns out the world is a big place!)
  • The points on the map aren’t quite in the right locations

Thanks!
Alec

[13 minutes later]

Oh, I forgot to mention: the tips are currently quite sparse, so if you want to see some examples of populated pages, either click through to the UK on the map and then click on one of the bigger circles, or search for one of London, Cambridge or Belfast.

Nicely done buddy. By the way, what template is this?

Thanks! I didn’t use any templates - the whole thing’s been coded using good old-fashioned notepad.

Hmm I think Google Map API is better than the one you are using.

The Welcome window is very persistent. I think you should put a close button and when a user click on it the window disappears forever.

I might eventually switch Maps API, but Google’s maps are a bit too busy for what I need.

Good point on the welcome window - it now appears only on the first visit of the session.

Thanks for the tips!

You were right - the Google Maps API is infinitely better than the previously used API. It’s a lot smoother now, and all of my locations are showing up in the right places!

In case anyone’s interested, I’ve also finally implemented account management, so you can reset passwords/change email addresses.

Nice page.

I noticed you have a feedback form but you don’t have a contact one, maybe adding a way of contacting you might help in something :slight_smile: