Is the Free Site a Scam?

I wouldn’t recommend the free one, I’ve been struggling all morning trying to get wordpress installed. They disabled the auto installer for free accounts, well they say they’re upgrading with no estimate on the complete day but then tell you to get a paid account if you want to auto install WP.

Fine, I’m happy to upload via ftp and configure. But I’ve spent a couple of hours now and uploads hang. You can’t upload the entire archive because of the file size limit. And trying upload file is both slow (sub 10k/s) and frequently hangs.

I was happy to start with the free as proof of concept and then pay but now I just feel duped. I’m giving up.

I feel very sad as I’d heard really good things about the hosting.

Very disappointed, I feel scammed.

I am not sure about the auto installer but I wouldn’t complain if this was free. Some people like myself would be okay with this.

Not sure why I should be happy, I can’t upload wordpress and they don’t let me install it. So basically it’s useless to me. And I was happy to pay once I’d shown some people proof of concept. Anyway I went to http://byethost.com/ and got a site and installed wordpress and mybb in minutes and it works great.

I’m fine with limitations for a free site but not so fine when I can’t even use it at all until I pay.

Anyway no big whoop. I deleted my site here and got the byethost one and all is good.

i don’t think it’s a scam. you just gotta read and understand the web host’s TOS so don’t get surprised by any restrictions/limitations they put on your account.

anyway it seems like you’ve found a home for your site. good luck :slight_smile:

Try www.allinonehostingsolution.com they allow everything + Auto installer are also available With 50 + Scripts . and 5 Gb Diskspace for free… i recommed use this …

Try www.allinonehostingsolution.com

Ha I thought you were talking about bytehost which is free. No problems here. Works fine.

@illegit 000web is not scam

This is a fine hosting service. Very straightforward. Follow the instructions, ask for help, it all happens. Patience is sometimes required.

Not at all. You can trust 00wehost.com for free hosting service. I am using their service for 2 years. and no problem found.

You could’ve used the 1-Click website restore, this has a file limit of 50MB…
I just uploaded the wordpress files, this took me 1-2 minutes, maybe 3.
Then I opened up the website I installed it on: http://apple.site50.net/
Put in the parametres I needed for the configuration, and installed wordpress…
The entire process took me less than 10 minutes, actually about 4-5 minutes total.

Its not a scam I had a wordpress with them on the free service actually more than 1 . I’m not happy with webhost’s customer service but their free service isn’t bad . Make sure you keep constant backups of your site and download them to your computer. If not and your site gets suspend for any reason . They won’t allow you to get your backups from their server.

This is the advice you need wavegirl.

I used to have HORRIBLE time-out problems. Turned out it was because I was on satellite internet when I was doing my updating. I didn’t have problems on dial-up, DSL, or cable. Other than that, the free service does great for me.

Not all free sites are scam. I have a large free websites which are really great

The free hosting works reasonably well for me. Certainly not a scam. I guess it’s paid for by the people who eventually upgrade to paid hosting, but you don’t have to unless your requirements increase.

Wordpress I’ve not tried but we did have a Joomal site running on free space It -just- fitted in the file count limit! Basically all these mainstream CMS are massively bloated, and will strain the capability of a free account. Worse, they are full of security holes, so unless you keep on updating, updating, updating your site WILL be hacked. These days we avoid using them if at all possible. For anything but the largest websites, static pages work better.

http://sf.net/projects/hyperframe works very nicely here.

It is free, no need to complain.
WordPress is very heavy, and you are trying to run it on 1/100th or even 1/1000 of a webserver.

I think the service its ok for a basic webpage or a test site, then if you have sucess you have tu upgrade to premium service.

I’m happy to upload via ftp and configure. But I’ve spent a couple of hours now and uploads hang.